3.1 beta4 has been released! (And beta3 has been skipped.)

The projects speaking tube.
Add your two cents if you want to.
Searge-Major
Trained
Trained

Re: 3.1 beta4 has been released! (And beta3 has been skipped

Post by Searge-Major »

Having failed to get drivers for the truly pathetic computers I have been using, I bit the bullet, downloaded the Windows version for my own computer (Intel i7-2600, 8 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GT 520 :D ). :? Guess what? It needed new drivers...

So after downloading drivers that were three times the size of Warzone itself, I finally got a member of the 3.1 series installed... and fully working. :D The biggest downside is that I have no internet on my computer. Judging by the state of things, it will still be a couple of months before I can play online, the biggest issue is that I will not use Windows to go online, as I cannot afford to have my system hacked or have any malware install itself on it. So I'm waiting for the final release of Mageia 2. :)

However, so far I have been quite impressed with 3.1; naturally there are some things I don't like, but maybe I'm just to used to 2.3.9. :wink:

Cool new wheels model
    Much more visible projectiles, though I'm still not completely sure... :?
    Structures fire at their maximum range. I noticed this with the campaign most.
    Probably a lot of other things, but I'd have to play more. :)
Dislikes:
  • Same old models for the halftracks and tracks. :(
    There's a bit of lag before units do what you tell them.
    Again, some other things that I can't think of right now.
Overall though, I am impressed, thank you to all the people who worked on this game. :)
I fully realise my input is just another drop in the proverbial bucket. It is my goal to make each drop count.
Shadow Wolf TJC
Regular
Regular

Post by Shadow Wolf TJC »

Searge-Major wrote:Judging by the state of things, it will still be a couple of months before I can play online, the biggest issue is that I will not use Windows to go online, as I cannot afford to have my system hacked or have any malware install itself on it. So I'm waiting for the final release of Mageia 2. :)
If you're afraid of using Internet Explorer for web browsing, then try Mozilla Firefox. Unlike IE, Firefox isn't built into the system, meaning that it's more difficult to find exploits for it.
Creator of Warzone 2100: Contingency!
Founder of Wikizone 2100: http://wikizone2100.wikia.com/wiki/Wikizone_2100
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Shadow Wolf TJC wrote:
Searge-Major wrote:Judging by the state of things, it will still be a couple of months before I can play online, the biggest issue is that I will not use Windows to go online, as I cannot afford to have my system hacked or have any malware install itself on it. So I'm waiting for the final release of Mageia 2. :)
If you're afraid of using Internet Explorer for web browsing, then try Mozilla Firefox. Unlike IE, Firefox isn't built into the system, meaning that it's more difficult to find exploits for it.
I think he's talking about the very fact of getting connected online, not just browsing; +1 for firefox, of course, but it's not the biggest threat XD As long as he's behind a NAT, there's much less to be afraid of, though. I don't think anybody down there is able to install malware simply by hacking the wz2100 protocol.

Also, what's wrong with Mageia 1? (:
Searge-Major
Trained
Trained

Post by Searge-Major »

NoQ wrote:I think he's talking about the very fact of getting connected online, not just browsing; +1 for firefox, of course, but it's not the biggest threat XD
You are correct. :wink: If it was just browsing I was worried about, I'd would simply use Firefox. :) But the moment you connect to the internet, you are vulnerable to probing attacks from twonks using cyberkit, etc. When our family was on dial-up, my dad had an IP-Cop firewall, and sometimes we'd log thousands of attempts a day. O_o

As an anecdote, one was from this university, and when my dad sent them an email demanding an explanation, the response was surprise that he'd even noticed, let alone followed it up! Apparently they had an IT course, but why they where trying to crack other people's systems I don't know. :shakehead:
As long as he's behind a NAT, there's much less to be afraid of, though. I don't think anybody down there is able to install malware simply by hacking the wz2100 protocol.
Well, that's the problem with mobile broadband, I don't have a router to hide behind. :(
Also, what's wrong with Mageia 1? (:
Nothing really, just a bit buggy, and the fact that my previous attempt at installing WZ on Mageia 1 failed miserably, taking the system down with it. :blink:
I fully realise my input is just another drop in the proverbial bucket. It is my goal to make each drop count.
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

effigy wrote:I've made a compelling documentary about these rouge droids: Tank Dance!i
Yeah, I've seen that in skirmish and was really annoying, as it prevented mobile artillery from firing...
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Beware! Mad Qt Evangelist.
kilroy9724
New user

Post by kilroy9724 »

Boys of me after 5 minutes the game crashes what can I be?
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

kilroy9724 wrote:Boys of me after 5 minutes the game crashes what can I be?
http://developer.wz2100.net/wiki/BugReporting
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
Happy Camper
Trained
Trained

Post by Happy Camper »

Maybe it's just coincidence, but in each skirmish game I played with Beta4, Nexus AI always choose the vtol research branch.
Does anyone else make similar observations?
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Happy Camper wrote:Maybe it's just coincidence, but in each skirmish game I played with Beta4, Nexus AI always choose the vtol research branch.
Does anyone else make similar observations?
It chooses research branch semi-randomly based on map size.
zany
Trained
Trained

Post by zany »

cybersphinx wrote:
zany wrote:why do all beta releases have savegame problems? :annoyed: they keep fixing other things but savegames are not fixed and it looks like they will drop support for savegames and make this a multiplayer only game :annoyed: :roll: why not roll back the changes so we can have working savegames again?
See http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html, "It doesn't work."
:annoyed: what else do you want to know? start a game play it for awhile then save. try to load it again and you have a good chance of it not working. I am not doing anything special just play a freaking normal game and you can see it yourself most of the time that savegames are broken.
matthewfarmery
Trained
Trained

Post by matthewfarmery »

using windows 7 here, and save games work fine for me, and these are fresh saves per level, what OS are you using? and are you saving on the same save all the time or doing a save slot per level?

as I can't duplicate, never had problems with saves, other aspects of the game, yes, but not with saves
zany
Trained
Trained

Post by zany »

matthewfarmery wrote:using windows 7 here, and save games work fine for me, and these are fresh saves per level, what OS are you using? and are you saving on the same save all the time or doing a save slot per level?

as I can't duplicate, never had problems with saves, other aspects of the game, yes, but not with saves
windows as well and if you look at that trac thing http://developer.wz2100.net/ticket/3200 other people have the problem also
saving to a different slot each time
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

For some reason I doubt 3.1 will come out of beta testing before saved games are fixed.
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
zany
Trained
Trained

Post by zany »

effigy wrote:For some reason I doubt 3.1 will come out of beta testing before saved games are fixed.
is there a list of things that need to be fixed before 3.1 is out of beta? was looking to up vote bugs but I can't seem to do this on that trac thing
matthewfarmery
Trained
Trained

Post by matthewfarmery »

the save game issue I can confirm, in skirmish, I don't really use that mode much, the saves work fine in campaign which I have never had problems with, but I just check skirmish and can confirm the save game issue