3.1 beta4 has been released! (And beta3 has been skipped.)

The projects speaking tube.
Add your two cents if you want to.
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Re: 3.1 beta4 has been released! (And beta3 has been skipped

Post by Lord Apocalypse »

@aubergine
Yeah, i want to say thats it for the swivel issue but didn't really test it out as I only played about 15 minutes before going to sleep.

@Emdek
Ill see if I can find that ticket and I will check and see if that unit is still with the group or if I can reproduce it if I sent it for reclycling.
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Beware! Mad Qt Evangelist.
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

@Emdek @Cybersphinx @Per: My case for changing the way JS data is persisted in savegames: https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/disp ... calStorage
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

aubergine, in short, game shouldn't try to help us by saving everything which it can (which can lead to issues with loading it back), objects should be explicitly marked if they need to be saved (or where - I'm not against separating into session, local, profile, whatever, only for doing it that way ;-)) and if they wish to be saved then they should be saved in the way I've exampled above or maybe even have special methods to return and parse back values (so you for example could have JSON object notation as INI property value ;-)).
Anyway, saving not in session (save game) should be explicit and use QSettings like API (type neutral, at least for "primitive" types), like storage.setValue("key", someValue) and storage.getValue("key", defaultValue).

Adding new files and another notation will make it only more complex, if it would be used from start then maybe it would be good idea (but still JSONs only real advantage is that with proper indentation it lets to visualize data structures, the second least important is that allows parse less loading and saving).

This is my opinion, I'm voting for fixing the way how game saves and restores objects data (by better notation and / or allow to use explicit save and load methods for objects) and allowing to store values outside session (save game) using getter / setter API only.

cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

aubergine wrote:@Emdek @Cybersphinx @Per: My case for changing the way JS data is persisted in savegames: https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/disp ... calStorage
I don't care about the specific format used. I care about it being
1. readable (your json example looks ugly, should be pretty printed for saving),
2. back- and forwards compatible, so old saves load in newer versions and vice versa. If your json can do that, fine.
We want information... information... information.
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

cybersphinx, readability and compatibility are nearly exact in INI (we could even have indentation here, and just trim keywords and sections when parsing, I believe that Qt could do that for us, but we would need custom saving, which is very easy to do) and JSON. ;-)

aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

JSON notation can be pasted in to most code editors then reformatted automatically to add indentation, etc.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
zany
Trained
Trained

Post by zany »

:annoyed: who the hell cares what format it is as long as it works? the current format is broken and the old format works.
zany
Trained
Trained

Post by zany »

cybersphinx wrote:
zany wrote:thanks guys the devs didn't believe me that the savegames were busted. :roll:
There is a difference between not believing and not being able to reproduce a problem. And you can believe me, that is frustrating for us as well, because we would actually like to fix those issues. I tried to follow Asgorath's instructions, and got a bunch of savegames... that all load. :dash1:
why is it that most of the savegames I make are bad yet you can't get one bad savegame? you playing 3.1 beta 4? what are you doing differently that the rest of us aren't?
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

zany wrote::annoyed: who the hell cares what format it is as long as it works? the current format is broken and the old format works.
There is no point just randomly poking at things, instead of finding the real problem. It seems the data gets corrupted before getting saved, so reverting would give us... corrupted savegames in the old format.
zany wrote:why is it that most of the savegames I make are bad yet you can't get one bad savegame? you playing 3.1 beta 4? what are you doing differently that the rest of us aren't?
I'm using Linux, all reports of corruption are from Windows systems as far as I know.
We want information... information... information.
zany
Trained
Trained

Post by zany »

cybersphinx wrote:
zany wrote::annoyed: who the hell cares what format it is as long as it works? the current format is broken and the old format works.
There is no point just randomly poking at things, instead of finding the real problem. It seems the data gets corrupted before getting saved, so reverting would give us... corrupted savegames in the old format.
zany wrote:why is it that most of the savegames I make are bad yet you can't get one bad savegame? you playing 3.1 beta 4? what are you doing differently that the rest of us aren't?
I'm using Linux, all reports of corruption are from Windows systems as far as I know.
tried xp and 7 ultra 64 they both do the same thing why don't you guys just roll back each change from https://github.com/Warzone2100/warzone2100/commits/3.1 then put a new build up so we can look that way? that will work right? like go back a few weeks or months and make a build then we report if that works or not? this started at the start of the beta 1 I can't tell when that was made from looking at https://github.com/Warzone2100/warzone2100/commits/3.1
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

@Zany I'm not getting many problems with savegames on 3.1 beta 4. But that doesn't mean they're not broken, and I know the devs spend a lot of time tracking down bugs and fixing them. It's just that some bugs are harder to track down than others.

It's not as simple as just rolling back code to an earlier version, because then everything that relies on that code will also need rolling back or altering in some way.

As for the data storage, it matters a lot to anyone doing development and bug fixing. It's not something that can just be rushed in to (unless you want save games to get even more buggy?). Many factors need thinking about such as:

* reliability both now and in the future (fewer bugs)
* ease of tracking down bugs and other problems (fix bugs faster)
* effects on backwards- and future-compatibility (savegame compatibility with several versions of warzone)

Just try and be a little patient ok? I know it's frustrsating, but the savegame stuff needs fixing properly otherwise these problems are just going to keep recurring with each new release.
zany
Trained
Trained

Post by zany »

but that is the problem they don't know why it is doing it and then they leave snarky comments http://developer.wz2100.net/ticket/3200#comment:24 my way will get to the bottom of it pretty fast then they can see why that change broke windows savegames
they also don't need to make the installer just throw up the warzone2100.exe file
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

zany, then bisect offending changeset for us. :-)
I've tried to reproduce it on 32 bit Linux but it cannot be, and I don't find anything wrong in that comment, should we all be serious like death? :-D

zany
Trained
Trained

Post by zany »

Emdek wrote:zany, then bisect offending changeset for us. :-)
I've tried to reproduce it on 32 bit Linux but it cannot be, and I don't find anything wrong in that comment, should we all be serious like death? :-D
O_o what do you mean? how do I roll back changes myself? --bisect isn't a valid option :annoyed: