3.1 beta1 has been released!

The projects speaking tube.
Add your two cents if you want to.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Re: 3.1 beta1 has been released!

Post by cybersphinx »

fraggle wrote:But the version before beta and also 2.3.9 all will fight nearest enemy.
Do you mean some of the master snapshots, or only 2.3.9 and older?
We want information... information... information.
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

fraggle wrote:
Iluvalar wrote:I believe your concern is only that, you'd like to have your lancer keep it ammo for the tank that is coming ? But that kind of micro AI is hard to make perfect. Would it be rational that all weapons in the game take instant decision from information they do not see by themself ? Will that tank behind the cliff WILL enter in line of sight anyway ? Would you prefer your lancer to hold his ammo, and never shoot because there is a tank out of sight ?

I just thought again : sometime the micro ai, will prefer other units because they have better chance to kill them (low hp) even if, there is a theoretical better target for them.
But the version before beta and also 2.3.9 all will fight nearest enemy.

This case: I come with 10 trucks and 10 tanks in front of a line of station weapons. Let my trucks build something, and meanwhile can fight the station weapons cause they dont attack my tanks, cause atting the building. In this case they MUST attack the tanks!! but dont do it.
A balance here for that prob will be nice i think.

thx for always quick reply
I use that ploy in sk. Get truck(s) build a mg bunker (cheap and high hp) to draw enemy fire, while weaponry hangs back and takes out enemy. There is no selection on basis of relative weakness; it's always the nearest target that is hit.

There's a mod in Earth 2150 that allows you choose twixt weak and near, but to be honest, I could never decide which was better. But that said, I think the AI in WZ chooses to attack the weakest enemy base, rather than the nearest - which does make sense.
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

+1 for attacking weakest first, it's the best approach IMHO, especially for base structures.
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
-- https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GO
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

aubergine wrote:+1 for attacking weakest first, it's the best approach IMHO, especially for base structures.
"+1", as in?

I was thinking in terms of enemy weapons, fixed or mobile. I had come back to edit my post with this further thought. If I can command weapon fire, then I would go for the most powerful enemy weapons - let my hp absorb the weaker fire until I get around to dealing with it. I think this obtains for both mobile and fixed, except that I would usually be attacking fixed enemy, while mobile enemy could be either attacking or defending. Actually, if I am attacking I will most likely have range fire backing me up - which I would let soften up enemy defenses first.

I'll leave it at this. I'm thinking on the hoof, which could get pretty ragged and waste everyone's time...
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

+1 as in "I agree"
"Dedicated to discovering Warzone artefacts, and sharing them freely for the benefit of the community."
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

Maybe a better alternative would be an option to set the "preferred target" of droids and turrets?

For example, when you right-click a unit or factory, you can set it to "hold fire", "return fire" or "fire at will" and so on. Perhaps if there was something similar for choosing preferred target: "strongest", "weakest". On structures, the range setting would determine whether it attacks nearest, furthest or optimal range.
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

aubergine would be useful, to not waste ammunition (long loading artillery).
I suppose that this is good candidate for own topic in Ideas and suggestions. ;-)
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Beware! Mad Qt Evangelist.
Trifler
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Trifler »

I've made it pretty far in on the Alpha missions in the campaign and things seem to be working great. It's nice to see the newest features working together in a polished form. :)

One thing I did notice: When I reload my game, my list of unit designs is all out of order from the way I created/wanted them.

EDIT: Hmm... I've tried five times and I can't get Alpha 7 "Establish Forward Base" to register as complete. The clock just runs out. I had this problem pre-2.3 and I thought it had been fixed since I was able to pass the mission since then. I built towers all around to make sure I got all the enemy units that "fell off" the cliff, to no avail.
themac
Trained
Trained

Post by themac »

After a very long pause I returned to visit Warzone, but it is still the same issue I had with the beta release so long ago: Loading a saved game fails too often, ending up with a quick quit to the desktop. I did try the Mac version.
Emdek
Regular
Regular

Post by Emdek »

themac, from my observation my older campaign saves loads fine, link in previous release announcement.
Nadszedł już czas, najwyższy czas, nienawiść zniszczyć w sobie.
The time has come, the high time, to destroy hatred in oneself.

Beware! Mad Qt Evangelist.
zany
Trained
Trained

Post by zany »

more bugs.
where did the intelligence screen stats go in multiplayer? hit f5 and there is no info about what you just researched. the speed settings are written in a odd way. 5/2 3/2 5/4 and you can set it below what is allowed in 2.3.9.
zany
Trained
Trained

Post by zany »

another bug.
you can't kick anyone in game anymore! playing this version you can't kick the people that are lagging everyone else out!!!
supertransport is a bit too slow
themac
Trained
Trained

Post by themac »

@ Emdek: It is strange, but the very first savegame I made when playing the fresh copied beta to my Mac was successful. All others were bad.
Spiritforged
New user

Post by Spiritforged »

i have an error that i can't even start playing the game, when i click the icon, it changes the screen resolution, then goes back and a window pops up that says:
__________________________________________________________________________________________________
[screenInitialise] OpenGL 1.4 is not supported by your system. The game requires this. Please update your graphics drivers/hardware, if possible.

Please check your stderr.text file in the same directory as the program file for more details.
Do not forget to upload both the stderr.text file and the warzone2100.rpt file in your bug reports!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i am on a windows xp. can anyone help?
aubergine
Professional
Professional

Post by aubergine »

I too have trouble with the new speed settings - I'm terrible at math and seeing fractions totally confuses me. With old speed settings it was a simple case of "is the number getting bigger or smaller = speed faster or slower". Now it's "uhm, where's my calculator?" :(