New master snapshot 20111026 has been released!

The projects speaking tube.
Add your two cents if you want to.
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Re: New master snapshot 20111026 has been released!

Post by Lord Apocalypse »

if its an nvidia card.. I doubt its an opengl issue. I havent run 2.3.9 or master yet but I'll make sure to give some info when I do. Between creating a new web interface for vegastrike though and getting the beta 2 release out though i'm a bit swamped (not to mention time with the kids, now there's a time sink).

Has anyone tried running WZ through a profiler or debugger? Or perhaps someone mistakenly compiled the code in debug mode and released it. That by itself could explain the slowness issues.

@zany what driver version are you running and what OS? While unit order delays are probably not OS/driver related its possible that the delay is not in the order messaging system but the screen redraw.

Possibilities may include:
1. Problem with the code and trying to run the game using SLI
2. Order messaging system locked to a certain timing to keep older systems from getting out of synch
3. Insert guess here
Berg
Regular
Regular

Post by Berg »

Lord Apocalypse wrote:(not to mention time with the kids, now there's a time sink).
There is a grandparents lib available try installing that!!! It comes in a few flavors spoil t and native!

Be aware that some libs contain they love me more syndrome!

The more things are investigated the better chance of remedy I think any time you can spare to warzone we are creatfull for..

Thanks
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

Per wrote:The pathfinder was changed so that it must complete in some time window before the simulation proceeds, whereas before it used to run in a background thread until it was finished. So before, if path-finding had a backlog, units would wait before starting to move. Now, if there is insufficient time to process path-finding, the entire game will wait. It has to be this way because if path-finding completes faster on some computers than others, the game will go out of sync. (There is a way to design it differently, by doing path-finding only on one computer then sending the results, but that comes at the cost of somewhat larger network bandwidth and latency. There is no free lunch if you want sync.)
How does this cause the lag in sk?
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

The design is the same for both networked and single player games. Note that I am not saying that this is what is causing the lag that you see, it is one possibility of several.
Ezio
Trained
Trained

Post by Ezio »

just did a bit of googling, this said that nvidia and ati have their own OpenGL SDKs should we include them in project? (if nv use nvogl, if ati use atiogl), since it would be harder to find error on specified system :hmm:. also nvidia use physx and cuda to make things faster. since we don't use physx and CUDA works best with many parallel threads, something we "probably" don't use so don't expect lots of performance increase while using nvidia high end graphic card :)
zany
Trained
Trained

Post by zany »

Lord Apocalypse wrote:if its an nvidia card.. I doubt its an opengl issue. I havent run 2.3.9 or master yet but I'll make sure to give some info when I do. Between creating a new web interface for vegastrike though and getting the beta 2 release out though i'm a bit swamped (not to mention time with the kids, now there's a time sink).

Has anyone tried running WZ through a profiler or debugger? Or perhaps someone mistakenly compiled the code in debug mode and released it. That by itself could explain the slowness issues.

@zany what driver version are you running and what OS? While unit order delays are probably not OS/driver related its possible that the delay is not in the order messaging system but the screen redraw.

Possibilities may include:
1. Problem with the code and trying to run the game using SLI
2. Order messaging system locked to a certain timing to keep older systems from getting out of synch
3. Insert guess here
I have tried drives up to 285.62. it is not a driver problem. I can play many other opengl games just fine!
why can I play 2.3.9 just fine but master is a crap fest?
Last edited by lav_coyote25 on 03 Nov 2011, 20:49, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: plese do not swear. - lav_coyote25. edited a curse word.
IgorBrehm
Trained
Trained

Post by IgorBrehm »

I tested the game and there is still the bug of units getting stuck on the mountains ^^
vexed
Inactive
Inactive

Post by vexed »

Ezio wrote:just did a bit of googling, this said that nvidia and ati have their own OpenGL SDKs should we include them in project? (if nv use nvogl, if ati use atiogl), since it would be harder to find error on specified system :hmm:. also nvidia use physx and cuda to make things faster. since we don't use physx and CUDA works best with many parallel threads, something we "probably" don't use so don't expect lots of performance increase while using nvidia high end graphic card :)
No, the way it works is, openGL is called, then the wrapper calls either nvidia / AMD / S3 / intel's own routines depending on what card you have of course.
/facepalm ...Grinch stole Warzone🙈🙉🙊 contra principia negantem non est disputandum
Super busy, don't expect a timely reply back.
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Post by Lord Apocalypse »

pretty much same way with DX I think
kringled
Trained
Trained

Post by kringled »

For the campaign related features that need testing, is there any more structured/specific need for testing other than "start a campaign from the beginning, and save and load games along the way and keep an eye out for bugs?"

Keith
IgorBrehm
Trained
Trained

Post by IgorBrehm »

I tested the game and there is still the bug of units getting stuck on the mountains :dontknow: is that a issue of using the game with the AR mod?
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

is that a issue of using the game with the AR mod?
No.