Qt transition completed.

The projects speaking tube.
Add your two cents if you want to.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Qt transition completed.

Post by Buginator »

The Warzone 2100 Project Team would like to mention that we have now finished the transition to the Qt framework.

This means that there will be no future SDL builds available, and only Qt builds for 3.X.

2.X will still use SDL, however, there won't be any feature enhancements in this series.
We just don't have the time / manpower to maintain different code bases.

Once again, we do not have any mac developers, and without mac developers, we can't make the platform specific changes that are needed for the mac. If you know of any mac developer that can help us, feel free to send them this way!

Thanks for helping us test these new builds!
and it ends here.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Re: Qt transition completed.

Post by Buginator »

Sim
New user

Post by Sim »

I have not been following the Warzone project lately., could you please explain what does this change mean? QT is an ui framework, while SDL is a graphics framework, so as a non-programmer I don't get it.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

There should be no immediate, visible changes from this transition (well, except for coloured mouse cursors). There may be a few wanted/unwanted side-effects, though, so worth knowing about.
Asgorath
Trained
Trained

Post by Asgorath »

If I get it there will be no more master-releases but you will restart with beta 3.X?
I would like the idea because almost every new person asks what a master is^^

Congratulations btw 8)
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Sim wrote:I have not been following the Warzone project lately., could you please explain what does this change mean? QT is an ui framework, while SDL is a graphics framework, so as a non-programmer I don't get it.
SDL provides basically an OpenGL window and keyboard/mouse input. Qt provides an OpenGL window, keyboard/mouse input, coloured hardware cursors (not bound to the game's fps like with SDL), ini file handling, a Javascript implementation (QtScript), and the GUI elements for error dialogs. Those are just the features we actually use already (those I rembered anyway), and they all come from one well-maintained and widely used libary instead of a conglomeration of random libraries and custom code.
Asgorath wrote:I would like the idea because almost every new person asks what a master is^^
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7114
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

By the way, what will happen when some Qt5 comes out? Just curious (i'm sure you thought about it).
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

NoQ wrote:By the way, what will happen when some Qt5 comes out? Just curious (i'm sure you thought about it).
Why would we think about it? It is not even on the Qt roadmap yet. As to what would happen, we would do what everyone else did when Qt4 arrived - wait until the dust has settled, the most popular distros have it, and port our stuff over. No big deal.
sylwen
New user

Post by sylwen »

Hello, first timer here!

I've been browsing the sources in the default repository. It seems that these sources include Qt libraries (the QCoreApplication somehow indicated me this)

However, it seems that the compilation guides for windows are a bit out of date, may it be for MinGW or for VS. So, I just wanted to know two things :
- For compilation purposes, do I need only Qt, Bison and Flex?
- For runtime, do I still need the SDL (and the others libraries mentionned in http://developer.wz2100.net/wiki/CompileGuide)?

Thanks in advance! And wonderful idea to port this game to Qt! I can honestly tell you that I would have never browsed the sources during the time it used SDL. Personal preferences are hard to argue with =)
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

I've updated the wiki page at the link above. You no longer need SDL and QuesoGLC, but you will need Qt (obviously) and all the libraries listed for runtime also for compilation.
fezvez
New user

Post by fezvez »

Yay!

I'll come back to you as soon as the game compiles!

Or I'll come back to you to ask for some more explanations if I get some "unresolved externals" or similar things =)

Thanks again!

Edit : Didn't want to post again, but I just wanted to tell you that this game requires an unbelievably small amount of time in order to be compiled. Like, 15 minutes of package installation max! That was great!
Last edited by fezvez on 13 May 2011, 00:13, edited 1 time in total.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

For building Qt on VS2010:
Make a Environment Variable called QTdir, and point it to where you unpacked the source archive
Then open up the x86 VS2010 shell, and cd to that directory, and type
configure -debug-and-release -opensource -shared -no-qt3support -qt-sql-sqlite -phonon -phonon-backend
and wait until that is done.
Then type nmake, and wait a looooooooooooooong time (depending on your CPU speed/threads/cores) and when done, you should be set with Qt.
and it ends here.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Per wrote:
NoQ wrote:By the way, what will happen when some Qt5 comes out? Just curious (i'm sure you thought about it).
Why would we think about it? It is not even on the Qt roadmap yet. As to what would happen, we would do what everyone else did when Qt4 arrived - wait until the dust has settled, the most popular distros have it, and port our stuff over. No big deal.
Fresh news on Qt5: [1] [2] :wink:
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

How do we configure the screen font in Qt? Most of the interface fonts aren't affected by qtconfig (only size is changed). Sorry if it was asked already.
Attachments
You can see URW Gothic in the chat box, taken from qtconfig, but other fonts are somehow built-in and look ugly at this size.
You can see URW Gothic in the chat box, taken from qtconfig, but other fonts are somehow built-in and look ugly at this size.
toney
New user

Post by toney »

Very important question: will QT-based interface of Warzone2100 take more system resources (CPU, RAM, Video) than SDL did?