Calling all Mac Developers (and users too)!

The projects speaking tube.
Add your two cents if you want to.
aracon
Greenhorn

Re: Calling all Mac Developers (and users too)!

Post by aracon »

Well i just know Java and not very well, but i could help testing builds. I got an old 2007 Macbook with Intel graphics.
dak180
Trained
Trained

Post by dak180 »

While we were able to attract a one time contribution from nanotech but what we really need is someone who wants to work on Warzone regularly and can hang out in the dev channel on IRC.

So if you are interested please join us on IRC in the [url=irc://irc.freenode.net/warzone2100-dev]#warzone2100-dev[/url] channel.

There really is not one list anywhere that has all the things that need to be worked on; this is why it is important to be on IRC, so you can ask questions and get answers.

For those of you that are not sure how to get started using git on the mac (I recommend getting git though macports or fink), check out our GitHowto and for a GUI I recommend GitX.
User:dak180
Keeper of the Mac Builds
Recruit0
New user

Post by Recruit0 »

I'm pretty good at C++ (4 years XP) and used to use C (1 yr) as my main language but converted to OOP. I have access to Macs at college (CS department) so I'd have to use those. I may be able to donate some time but not sure since this is my senior year so lots of work already.

I've tutored people up to Operating Systems (senior level) classes if that counts for anything.

You guys should've used some sort of platform abstraction layer(ing). It sounds like it's being developed specifically for 3 systems (windows, linux & mac) separately rather than using a library that is OS independent (which increases development complexity/cost time-wise).
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

You guys should've used some sort of platform abstraction layer(ing). It sounds like it's being developed specifically for 3 systems (windows, linux & mac) separately rather than using a library that is OS independent (which increases development complexity/cost time-wise).
Heh, don't worry, they *do* use it (: SDL mostly (: Still, a few platform-specific issues remain (:
dak180
Trained
Trained

Post by dak180 »

Recruit0 wrote:You guys should've used some sort of platform abstraction layer(ing). It sounds like it's being developed specifically for 3 systems (windows, linux & mac) separately rather than using a library that is OS independent (which increases development complexity/cost time-wise).
Currently we use SDL for this but we plan to jump to Qt at some point in the future.

While most of the work on Warzone is not specific to a platform there are a number of important corner cases that are; such as crash reports, some input issues with Qt, etc.

It is for these corner cases that we need someone who can work on the mac, but even if that does not interest you we can always use a few more good coders/tester for the rest of Warzone.
Keeper of the Mac Builds
KillerBee
New user

Post by KillerBee »

I spend approximately 6 hours a day, 5 days a week in Xcode writing software in C. My personal systems include the currently shipping iMac 27 (Core i7), a mid 2007 Macbook Pro 15 (Core2 Duo), and an early 2007 Macmini (Core Duo). I can spend at least a few hours each week helping you out. What do you need?
Recruit0
New user

Post by Recruit0 »

Did you guys encapsulate those issues? i.e. abstract them away?

Why Qt? It's from my understanding that it's a GUI Library, not exactly a graphics library. Although I'm not that familiar with it. What are you going to use for networking if you switch to Qt?
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Recruit0 wrote:Why Qt? It's from my understanding that it's a GUI Library, not exactly a graphics library. Although I'm not that familiar with it. What are you going to use for networking if you switch to Qt?
Qt has an excellent network API, among many other things. We will not be using its GUI widgets, at least not directly.
dak180
Trained
Trained

Post by dak180 »

KillerBee wrote:I spend approximately 6 hours a day, 5 days a week in Xcode writing software in C. My personal systems include the currently shipping iMac 27 (Core i7), a mid 2007 Macbook Pro 15 (Core2 Duo), and an early 2007 Macmini (Core Duo). I can spend at least a few hours each week helping you out. What do you need?
There are a number of mac specific issues that need to be addressed from #1601 and #2378 to input, full screen display and a number of other corner issues with our upcoming transition to Qt.

Really the best first step for working on any of these is to join us on irc and ask questions.
Keeper of the Mac Builds
WWSjoker
New user

Post by WWSjoker »

I currently have a mac and would be willing to help however i can.

I dont know how to do any coding but will test anything needed
superpirson
Greenhorn

Post by superpirson »

I has a 64 bit 10.6.6 mac-book pro.
i like to tinker with code, but i don't know how to do anything significant at the moment. i would be happy to help with testing. I have time to help out in some other way, though i have no experience in coding.
brakenfur
Trained
Trained

Post by brakenfur »

i got a 11 and 1/2 year old imac would that be able to play warzone if so i can test stuff
macuser
Regular
Regular

Post by macuser »

does it have os x on it? and does it have a 64MB + graphics card? (however it probably does not)
ArtRev Website

ImageImage

System: AMD Phenom II x4, 4GB RAM, 640GB HD, Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1GB, Mac OS X 10.6
Lord Apocalypse
Regular
Regular

Post by Lord Apocalypse »

Faint hope here, but once I get done with moving the vega strike website to a new host I am going to hit a few apple stores looking for a mac donation. Vega Strike also lacks a mac developer and if I can get someone to donate to the project I could do some work here on the side as well.

That is if you still need a mac dev or just a mac user who can compile a binary.
dak180
Trained
Trained

Post by dak180 »

Lord Apocalypse wrote:Faint hope here, but once I get done with moving the vega strike website to a new host I am going to hit a few apple stores looking for a mac donation. Vega Strike also lacks a mac developer and if I can get someone to donate to the project I could do some work here on the side as well.

That is if you still need a mac dev or just a mac user who can compile a binary.
We could always use another dev or someone willing to host a mac nightly builder.
Keeper of the Mac Builds