3.0-beta 3 is released!

The projects speaking tube.
Add your two cents if you want to.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Re: 3.0-beta 3 is released!

Post by Rman Virgil »

Rman Virgil wrote:So armor has been broken for the 1.5 years Zarel spent on re-balancing ? Or can the break be pin-pointed in a lessor time frame ?
cybersphinx wrote:Well, the last round of rebalancing was done with broken armor (broken in 2.3.2, rebalancing in 2.3.5, fixed after 2.3.5), so some of the changes might not be so great now...

Ok, I see. Thanks. Meaning that v.2.3.1 (July 6, 2010) armor was intact and the re-balance effort up till then valid. So v.2.3.6 has armor fixed but the re-balance of 2.3.5 being invalid needs redress - perhaps starting with v.2.3.1 re-balance ?
stiv wrote:
Interesting, thanks. Always nice to know the history.

I find software archeology fascinating, especially in the context of "how did we get to *this* point?". It is often a touchy subject, though, since "this point" usually represents some FUBARed state.
They were making significant additions - new tech, new units - with most of the patches and they were doing it with less than 4 weeks between releases. (This reminds me of the SCRUM Framework of software development but I think MP game balance considerations cannot de-facto be shoe-horned into those abbreviated time-frames as unintended consequences always emerge from the play complex.)

They also removed a significant piece of tech a few weeks after it's release in v.1.04 , I think...(Balance ? What balance ? The tech in question was called "Transformations".)

Cavedog did something similar a couple years prior with TA and the fan community spent years re-balancing.

WZ campaign came first and MP was in many ways an add-on mode with these changing components patch to patch after retail release. Instead of building MP from the ground up, the preceding modus was one to court a FUBAR end state.

Of course WZ started off life compromised because of PS1 constraint considerations.

But then again the plan was to build the WZ sequel from the ground up, learning from what went awry in 2100's emergence - in development and post retail release.

- RV :hmm: