master-20101030 is now released!

The projects speaking tube.
Add your two cents if you want to.
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Re: master-20101030 is now released!

Post by zydonk »

effigy wrote:I've noticed that the game time, and map name don't appear in the main GUI, is this intentional? Are there console commands to enable/disable them?
'bout time too. Made WZ looks like some kind of geek testbed. Remember, folks, this is first and last a game, not a school project...
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

heh, I suppose you're right, they weren't ascetically pleasing at all. I do miss them though. I wonder if we could get the campaign clock in multiplayer? Though, then I'd have to wonder if we could get it to not block console text. The majority of the value in showing the map name was for the screen shot, but now those get named after the map anyhow.
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

For the first time, I've experienced lag playing WZ. I play on a 2gig VAIO, 2gig RAM, and an 8400 card. I find this hard to understand. I know the game is being updated constantly, but it's still hard to believe that a ten year old game with a less than 200mb install could be so hungry.

Of course, I could play it on my PC, but there is simply not enough activity to fill a 28 inch screen. Besides which, I would probably end up with the dreaded swivelitis (if you've never had this, then you don't want to know about it - live on in your happy innocence (it's no fun getting your head screwed back on)).

If this is the future of WZ, then I will have to be content with v235.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

a ten year old game
Not anymore ;)
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

a ten year old game
hao wrote:Not anymore ;)

O_o A Post Modernist aesthetic, perhaps ? Nah. :P

Maybe more a mix of the Orwellian and Kafkaesque in an Iron Curtain kettle simmering in a special rabbit hole. :shock:

A 60 year old has plastic surgery and now looks 40, ergo their history is 40 and no longer 60. :roll:

Really ? What brand Kool-aid you advocating ? :lol2:

- Synergistically, Rman :ninja:

EDIT: On reflection, more than a tad too acerbic. My apologies on that score.

Impact = C x (R + E + A + T + E)

Contrast
Reach
Exposure
Articulation
Trust
Echo
zydonk
Trained
Trained

Post by zydonk »

Wow, have I touched a nerve? My point simply is that WZ - bless it - is not a 8+gig modern game, with cinematic detail and little more than a glorified rat-maze. It is being superbly updated - but still weighs in at about 170mb install (ignoring the vids). I know this master has new netcode - which seems to be a good thing - and I am asking, indirectly, if this is having an adverse effect on the fips.

Btw, out of curiosity, I installed the master on the BigBoy, and a discernible stutter is evident there too.

I notice above some comments on pathfinding. Might there be a glitch that causes pathfinding to be recalced on each cycle?

Or something like that.

And don't be touchy about WZ's age - most of the best games ever made were released around then...
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Rman Virgil: Ah ha ha (: Truly, Starcraft2 is a 15 years old game :P