New testing build for pre-3.0-1 is now up!

The projects speaking tube.
Add your two cents if you want to.
Happy Camper
Trained
Trained

Re: New testing build for 3.0 is now up!

Post by Happy Camper »

hao wrote:There's just a dead zone right near the wall, but it looks correct.
But hardpoint clusters definitely don't work anymore.

By the way, i recommend seeing this to everyone who
says that "AI opponents who tend to throw lots of units at you in the beginning"

Did you set the AI sliders to the right? I wonder why the AI in the didn't attack your almost unprotected base. And why are we whispering? :)
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Happy Camper wrote:
hao wrote:There's just a dead zone right near the wall, but it looks correct.
But hardpoint clusters definitely don't work anymore.
If you find something that you think should work differently for projectiles, please make a savegame of that situation, with a description and maybe screenshot for illustration.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Did you set the AI sliders to the right? I wonder why the AI in the didn't attack your almost unprotected base. And why are we whispering? :)
You can see the sliders when the movie starts. The only reason for their defeat is that they are slow. They are really slow. And i used almost the fastest build possible. Bots use a more tech-based build order.
And i'm whispering because it's offtopic and, more importantly, a dirty advertisement (:
Black Project
Regular
Regular

Re: Shooting over walls

Post by Black Project »

dak180 wrote:Yes, as part of the new targeting code, shots will not pass though solid objects (including your walls), so if a tower does not have line-of-sight to a target it will not fire.

To get similar results to what you are trying to achieve, try using indirect fire weapons like mortars.
What changes in this new targeting code? What's new on this?

Honestly, i don't liked the idea of taller defenses like towers/hardpoints couldn't be able to shoot throught the harcrete walls.

Walls are mostly putted in front of taller defenses to provide a improvised shield (or a kind of "bulletproof vest") for them, especially for towers that are weak for most weapons.

I have a feeling that people will start complaining about that sooner. Let's not make stationary defenses useless.

BP
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Honestly, i don't liked the idea of taller defenses like towers/hardpoints couldn't be able to shoot throught the harcrete walls.
They can, but only when they *really* can. They can shoot above, but not through.
By the way, i wonder if shooting through friendly buildings is fixed.
By the way, looks like units can shoot towers now when positioned properly.
P.S. I like it! No moar turtling!!!11one
Happy Camper
Trained
Trained

Post by Happy Camper »

cybersphinx wrote: If you find something that you think should work differently for projectiles, please make a savegame of that situation, with a description and maybe screenshot for illustration.
From the discussion above, I learned that line of sight is the criterion wether a tower can shoot or not. I understand that this increases the level of realism in the game. On the other hand, it is hard to decide now if a position for a tower is useful.
Anyway, I suppose I have to say goodbye to my beloved six-packs :wink:
sixpack.png
sixpack.png (270.9 KiB) Viewed 7480 times
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

This, my friends, is why I'm not a fan of realism. :|
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Before people complained when their units were hit even though hidden behind something, now people complain when they can't hit units even though they're hidden behind something...
Mysteryem
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Mysteryem »

I personally think that alike buildings should be able to shoot "through" one another, but not through a taller structure.
Bunkers and emplacements would only be able to shoot past bunkers, emplacements and tank traps.
Hardpoints, all of the above and other hardpoints.
Towers, all of the above (so that includes hardpoints) and other towers.
Fortresses, all of the above, maybe not other fortresses though to help with balancing.

This makes you think about the order and placement of your structures to make the most out of them.

Alternatively, if a structure has to shoot over another structure, depending on the structure(s) it's shooting over, it could have penalties to its range and/or accuracy. That way, turtling is still possible but the effect of doing so is reduced.

Cybersphinx, I thought that the main problem was that units could often shoot through cliffs and other terrain, not that they were being shot through structures, features and units.
"...If pure awesomeness were bricks, this would be the Great Wall of China...
The glory of this has collapsed on its self so far, that even the neutrons have collapsed."
Bruno Rodolfo
Trained
Trained

Post by Bruno Rodolfo »

I have not tested this new version, but I think the idea of a new transport very cool thing!
Bruno Rodolfo
Trained
Trained

Post by Bruno Rodolfo »

I also forgot to write that with this release, Project Warzone 2100 is leveling up! :D
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Mysteryem wrote:I personally think that alike buildings should be able to shoot "through" one another, but not through a taller structure.
Bunkers and emplacements would only be able to shoot past bunkers, emplacements and tank traps.
Hardpoints, all of the above and other hardpoints.
Towers, all of the above (so that includes hardpoints) and other towers.
Fortresses, all of the above, maybe not other fortresses though to help with balancing.

This makes you think about the order and placement of your structures to make the most out of them.

Alternatively, if a structure has to shoot over another structure, depending on the structure(s) it's shooting over, it could have penalties to its range and/or accuracy. That way, turtling is still possible but the effect of doing so is reduced.

Cybersphinx, I thought that the main problem was that units could often shoot through cliffs and other terrain, not that they were being shot through structures, features and units.
The rule of thumb I usually used was "bunkers can shoot over each other, and anything else can shoot over something shorter (e.g. towers over walls)". Towers not being able to shoot over walls will really mess with my base design. :(

The problem with realistic physics is that you need realistic everything else. Towers and things will actually have to be actual size, and the game will be really ugly with everything at actual size. :(

For reference: Warzone ranges, like ranges in pretty much every game, are shortened. This is because with realistic ranges, most of the time you spend is in travel, which is not fun, so in most games everything is intentionally closer to each other. That, and things look ugly when most of the screen is wide open space, with tiny dots representing where everything is.
Happy Camper
Trained
Trained

Post by Happy Camper »

cybersphinx wrote:Before people complained when their units were hit even though hidden behind something, now people complain when they can't hit units even though they're hidden behind something...
Please don't ask for feedback and call it complaining when you get it.
KenAlcock
Trained
Trained

Post by KenAlcock »

Square wrote:enemy units change their color to green when they explode.
And the graphic is ~quite slow on my Intel GMA 950, but okay for playing little battles

I saw this as well, and thought I was was seeing things.
My game handle is Cosmic Raven or Cosmic Raven 68
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

Happy Camper wrote:Please don't ask for feedback and call it complaining when you get it.
Yeah, sorry. I was just trying to say that when we change something, some people will always like the old way better.