Final call for balance adjustments in 2.3.5!

The projects speaking tube.
Add your two cents if you want to.

The current balance in 2.3.5_rc 4 is

Great!
35%
Good!
39%
OK, but could use improvement (post what the problem is)
6%
Ugh! (post what the problem is)
13%
I don't know what balance is.
6%

Total votes: 31

Zarel
Elite
Elite

Re: Final call for balance adjustments in 2.3.5!

Post by Zarel »

effigy wrote:I see the guide says $250, but it's only $56 in game.
ACK.

That means the game uses a different calculation than what I thought it does. Man, that's going to make it difficult to track down. :|
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

Zarel wrote: Also, Terminator, where did you post your balance issues?
in old topic viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6376&start=30#p69350
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
CinC
Trained
Trained

Post by CinC »

I tried today the version 2.3.5 in a skirmish game. I think the weapons are fine balanced but i guess there is a problem with the AI.

One picture says more than thousand words...
wz2100-20100919_152404-Sk-MizaMaze.jpg
This is the AI in all technology stages.... :lol2: As you see the AI is restricted to only a small number of different vehicle and cyborg settings. I wonder if there is something wrong....
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

CinC wrote:I tried today the version 2.3.5 in a skirmish game. I think the weapons are fine balanced but i guess there is a problem with the AI.

One picture says more than thousand words...
That is some trunk snapshot, not 2.3 though.
CinC
Trained
Trained

Post by CinC »

trust me it is a screen shot of the 2.3.5 trunk
Delphinio
Art contributor

Post by Delphinio »

CinC wrote:trust me it is a screen shot of the 2.3.5 trunk
There is no 2.3.5 trunk ^^... just a 2.3.5 branch.
And branch didnt got theese Textures yet.

-- Delphinio
CinC
Trained
Trained

Post by CinC »

you 're right i took the wrong version, it is in version 3.
Germanium
Trained
Trained

Post by Germanium »

Ok, havent had much time to test Flak in detail (like building 10k AA and 10k VTOls) in rc4, but yes from experience Flak is now underpowered. Sunburst was never a real issue (even in rc3 - dont know if you changed much there). The problem with Flak is that it is very hard to balance due to the splash effect. Splash damage to VTOLs cannot be easily derived because it heavily depends on the incoming formation. In rc3 Flak AA was overpowered and now its underpowered. I think it should be closer to rc3 (something like -10% or so) than rc4 with the costs remaining.
I will still keep complaining about the easyness to research Sunburst and Flak for their worth. If this will be the main AA weapon it should be paid for research wise like you have to do for ground Shaker, good bodys, Scourge and other end game weapon. If this should be outdated (or at least less powered) in T3 then it should be adjusted by half the drop you included from rc3 to rc4.

The rest of the game is still kinda balanced, although Wisler is right. The payoff for cannons (Gauss) comes too late to be useful. Cannon techs i am lately doing in 2 player games (for Cannon fort and hesh upgrades for AA (WW) and Howitzers) but in a single player game you are moving the wrong way if you go cannons. Maybe there should be some benefits integrated in one of the next few releases.

Apart from that i have to say, well done! Especially the combo of mini-pod and lancer upgrades.
It is not knowledge, but the act of learning, not possession but the act of getting there, which grants the greatest enjoyment. - Carl Friedrich Gauss
theArmourer
Trained
Trained

Post by theArmourer »

The weakness of the flak cannon is it's slow rate of fire. I built it to test it, never bothered with it again. Sunburst does not suffer from the same problems because it spreads its fire over time. Standred AA Fires rapidly. Every flak cannon in range fires at the first VTOL they see, allowing the VTOLs behind it to pass unharmed. The damage spread of sunburst allows it to retarget within one volley. Standred AA, again fires rapidly. VTOLs are often spread out very wide and from what I saw, the flak cannon does not hit any other targets significantly.
~theArmourer
Black Project
Regular
Regular

Post by Black Project »

Made a small rebalance mod in a attempt to eliminate all balancing flaws.

I'm also requesting testers for it. Feel free to help testing it.

Link => viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6502#p70095
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

theArmourer wrote:The weakness of the flak cannon is it's slow rate of fire. I built it to test it, never bothered with it again. Sunburst does not suffer from the same problems because it spreads its fire over time. Standred AA Fires rapidly. Every flak cannon in range fires at the first VTOL they see, allowing the VTOLs behind it to pass unharmed. The damage spread of sunburst allows it to retarget within one volley. Standred AA, again fires rapidly. VTOLs are often spread out very wide and from what I saw, the flak cannon does not hit any other targets significantly.
o_O

Sunburst has slower reload than Flak Cannon.
effigy
Regular
Regular

Post by effigy »

I think it suites the Flak cannon to have a slow rate of fire. Increasing the ROF would help it, though, vs. increasing the damage.
This is why some features aren't implemented: http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=7490&view=unread#p87241
blitzkrieg
New user

Post by blitzkrieg »

I have only my comment on the changes

I didn't think there was anything wrong with the balance in the previous versions.
I do not much care for the newer AA and I noticed that it detracts from the weapons trees that favor a more tank centric player's style of playing.

I cannot and shall not complain because I am delighted that this game that I had thought lost has been rejuvenated, I can always use the older version if the newer doesn't suit me.
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

I can always use the older version if the newer doesn't suit me.
Not when it comes to multiplayer (: