The balance changes in 2.3.5

The projects speaking tube.
Add your two cents if you want to.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

The balance changes in 2.3.5

Post by Zarel »

As many of you know, 2.3.5 RC3 comes with some major balance changes.

In particular, we have two new ground-to-air and air-to-air weapons (the Sunburst and the Flak Cannon), and rockets and mini-rockets are now affected by the same upgrades.

Before we release the final version of 2.3.5, I'd like to hear your feedback on what you think of these changes. Are the new weapons too powerful? Not powerful enough? Respond in the comments!
Kacen
Trained
Trained

Re: The balance changes in 2.3.5

Post by Kacen »

Was it honestly really necessary to get rid of the Cyclone?

If you ask me, it would have been better to just re-tool how the Cyclone fires and Works to be more like the Flak Cannon.

Or we could keep the Cyclone, make it slightly better, and make some big single barrel high-yield flak cannon as an additional weapon.

The Cyclone was too outclassed by the Whirlwind, which was essentially a better Hurricane, so it needed work. I just feel sad seeing that model go to oblivion.
KenAlcock
Trained
Trained

Post by KenAlcock »

As I mentioned in another thread, I agree about losing the Cyclone. The Cyclone turret looked way too cool, and it is a good early AA piece. It's sound effect was perfect, as was its Flak burst graphics. I have nothing against the new Flak Cannon, but the Cyclone was a much cooler weapon from a gaming experience perspective. Perhaps they both could have a place in the Tech Tree? Kacen's ideas above seem to have some merit, though I don't know how you get it all into the Tech Tree in a way that makes sense.

The Sunburst weapon was definitely needed and works well for an early AA emplacement when VTOLS are more likely to be more wimpy.
My game handle is Cosmic Raven or Cosmic Raven 68
Verin
Trained
Trained

Post by Verin »

I would love to give feedback but I am stuck on mac.
My multiplayer name is Verin
Usually in ideas and suggestions.
I Am also an ASE certified technician.
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

Verin wrote:I would love to give feedback but I am stuck on mac.
@ Project staff: Is building our own mac builds really that hard? I'm going off-topic unfortunately. I just see this complaint so often that I'm curious now because the instructions seem simple enough.

EDIT:
@ Verin : Maybe it's time to try building your own mac build. Tedious? Yeah, but it works though :wink:
And, for the love of god, please take that FUD about Warzone Lobbies out of your forum signature, thank you. :lol2:
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
Verin
Trained
Trained

Post by Verin »

Lol sorry but as of now it's true.
I don't have enough computer knowledge to even LEARN how to do something like that.

Oh well ill keep looking at my top star while you pc guys play with your fancy new AA weapons. lol
My multiplayer name is Verin
Usually in ideas and suggestions.
I Am also an ASE certified technician.
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

Personally I don't like any kind of new models for wz. So called "diverse" could be achieved without removing cyclone model & adding "twin light cannon". :annoyed:

& Have you thought about that making changes like this could be better done as a mod ?
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

Have you thought about that making changes like this could be better done as a mod ?
Absolutely useless. Playing MP with mods is way too painful. ;)

P.S. Why don't just use cyclone model and sound for flak cannon if everyone loves cyclones so much?
franek12354
Trained
Trained

Post by franek12354 »

2.3.5 with new weapons sweet :wink: now is time work on 2.3.6
Comments
Sunbust AA good balaced weapon on early T2 techology, I use on my airbazes XD as defend
Falc AA cannon strong medium ROF [good as you put 2 on dragon] fly arond ememy baze so no planes can get out

next Air-to-Air weapon should be [somethink from rail gun] neddle lancer as Air-Air Ground to Air weapon :wink:
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

franek12354 wrote:2.3.5 with new weapons sweet :wink: now is time work on 2.3.6
Actually 2.3.5 is not ready yet, these are just Release Candidates before the final 2.3.5 release (i think) :hmm:

@franek12354 : I don't see you on IRC right now.
"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."
-- Ambrose Bierce
franek12354
Trained
Trained

Post by franek12354 »

Omg now i criminal by not going to IRC ahh whatg I going to do ?
JDW
Regular
Regular

Post by JDW »

franek12354 wrote:Omg now i criminal by not going to IRC ahh whatg I going to do ?
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
-- Ambrose Bierce
DylanDog
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by DylanDog »

Zarel wrote: In particular, we have two new ground-to-air and air-to-air weapons (the Sunburst and the Flak Cannon), and rockets and mini-rockets are now affected by the same upgrades.
I am actually testing DyDo 2.2.4 updated with this. I replaced the research and building of Cyclone AA site with the Sunburst one...if the tests keep going fine I will update svn in 6-7 hours. If you can wait until then ...
My Warzone 2100 mods:
Download DyDo-AI for Warzone skirmish/multiplayer games.
Download A2C-HM (Alpha 2 Campaign - Hard Mode).
Download A3C-HM (Alpha 3 Campaign - Hard Mode).
stiv
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by stiv »

hao wrote:
Have you thought about that making changes like this could be better done as a mod ?
Absolutely useless. Playing MP with mods is way too painful. ;)
Not useless at all. Being a mod gives a way to turn the feature set on and off. AND it gives an easy way to compare before and after.

Yes, I realize this requires a bit of cleverness on your part.
Rman Virgil
Professional
Professional

Post by Rman Virgil »

stiv wrote:Have you thought about that making changes like this could be better done as a mod ?
hao wrote:Absolutely useless. Playing MP with mods is way too painful. ;)
stiv wrote:Not useless at all. Being a mod gives a way to turn the feature set on and off. AND it gives an easy way to compare before and after.

Yes, I realize this requires a bit of cleverness on your part.
For stress-testing purposes doing it as a mod has advantages that far outweigh the convenience factor of just normal MP play game set-ups.... Beta Stress-testing MP & Normal MP convenience should not be lumped together as synonymous - they really should be approached differently and are indeed in commercial game development because basically you have to make sacrifices when beta testing that are not part of normal playing. Professional game beta-testers get paid good money and this is one of the reasons why. To compromise with these parameters because peeps are not getting paid here comes at a price.