The projects speaking tube.
Add your two cents if you want to.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

2.3 Beta 10 is released!

Post by Buginator »

Today we bring you Beta 10.

More bugs were squashed, multiplayer sync improvements and for more information, see the changelog. :)

Note, when playing multiplayer games, you will see some "info" log lines, these are NOT errors or warnings, it is to help us track down issues that were reported in trac.
If you have a multiplayer problem, that has to do with drops / kicks / sync issues, then we need all your logs to help us track down the issue.

The logs are stderr.txt, stdout.txt (if present), and in your config directory, netplay-xxx_yyy.log where xxx is the month & day, and yyy = hour/min/sec that you played the game.
Be sure to attach all files, and the warzone2100.rpt file, (if it crashes), in your bug reports. Don't zip them please!

Your config directory is in ~/.warzone2100-2.3 for linux,
c:\My Documents\Warzone 2100-2.3 for windows, and ~/Library/Application Support/Warzone 2100-2.3 for macs.
stdout.txt and stderr.txt are only available on windows.
For linux and macs, use
--debugfile filename.txt to capture the log files, and upload that.

The Windows installer for this release was built on a different system than those of Beta 5 - Beta 9, please report any irregularities. If your virus scanner complains about it, please report it to the maker as a false positive (and tell us, so we can report it to them as well). The installer is cross-compiled on a Linux system, the hosting is done on Linux, the file never even touched a Windows system before the download.

NOTE: it has come to our attention, that you should uninstall the previous version of the game, before installing the new version, since some filenames have changed, and you will have some broken links / shortcuts if you don't uninstall it. This will not break the game, just the shortcuts/links will be wrong, and this is windows only.

NOTE: old skirmish savegames will not work with this version, and old mods *MAY NOT* work with this version:
Mods will have to be changed. The old way just made no sense and broke things left and right. Again, scripts have access to all templates, but humans only those set to player zero.

Bug Reports:
As usual, we need bug reports to fix problems in the game. Please note that we use tickets only to track bugs, for discussions about how features should work and feature requests we have a dedicated forum section.

For bug reports, see BugReporting for details, in short:
  • Search the existing tickets for your problem, if the problem has already been fixed in SVN, the ticket will be closed.
  • If there is an open one already, feel free to add more info to it.
  • If there is no report yet, make a new ticket.
  • Be as detailed as possible in both summary and description, and either log in with your forum account or leave an email address so we can contact you if we need more information.
  • The more information we have, the easier it is to fix problems, so include savegames/instructions to reproduce the bug, crashdumps, backtraces, screenshots for graphical problems... if you have.
  • When you attach files to a ticket, please add each text/image file separately and uncompressed, so we can view them easily in trac (savegames can and should be zipped, they consist of name.gam, possibly name.es, and the files in the name/ folder).
Download:
As usual, downloads can be found on our download page.

Changelog:

2010-02-07: Version 2.3 beta 10
  • General:
    • Change: Add mod list to crash report file (r9651)
    • Fix: Various warnings and asserts (r9494, r9500)
    • Fix: Redundant components being still available if researched after being made redundant (#1462, r9492)
    • Fix: Now also oil derricks are darkened by true fog of war and pulse when selected (r9543)
    • Fix: Clear teams when loading from in-game menu (r9541)
    • Fix: Unbuilt structures and walls should not confer visibility (r9537, #1483)
    • Fix: Sensor in range check bug (r9531)
    • Fix: Sound related crash on exit (r9528, #1444)
    • Fix: Structures popping in and out of true fog of war darkness (r9502)
    • Fix: Only play detection samples when that person found the power resource / artifact (r9596, r9643, #1496 )
  • Multiplayer:
    • Change: Add sync counters to help diagnose when we can't sync anymore due to the packet size exceeding our limits. This is in netplay-xxxx_yyyy.log in your config directory! (r9584)
    • Change: "netplay.log" to now be "netplay-xxxx_yyyyyy.log" where xxxx = month&day and yyyyyy = hour&min&sec (r9645)
    • Fix: When player drops, make sure to destroy everything they had (r9644, #1020)
    • Fix: Fix kicking issues when players tried to play a game when they came from a previous game (r9603)
    • Fix: Network synchronization updates was broken for most orders (r9681, #1505, #1516)
    • Fix: Remove disabled players from skirmish games with scavengers turned on (r9724)
  • Skirmish:
    • Fix: The Wide Spectrum Sensor no longer works as a Counterbattery sensor as this allowed cheating (r9560)
    • Fix: Workaround for bug that made AI stop research sometimes fixed (r9534)
    • Fix: Some AI unit templates had multiple turrets, but shouldn't have (r9605, #1510)
    • Fix: Scoreboard should be more accurate (r9587, #1500)
    • Fix: Scavenger AI is now active again (r9692, #1550)
  • Graphics:
    • Change: Clear frame buffer on start and exit (r9634)
    • Fix: Use correct coordinates for menu, radar, selection box (r9555)
  • Translations:
and it ends here.
KukY
Regular
Regular

Re: 2.3 Beta 10 is released!

Post by KukY »

:)
sg1efc
Trained
Trained

Post by sg1efc »

Yay, Thank you! :)
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Note that savegame compatibility in skirmish has been broken again in this beta. Campaign savegames should work fine.
Vibonacci
Greenhorn

Post by Vibonacci »

Thank! Keep up the excellent work! Waiting for guys to do some late night testing :)
kai_
New user

Post by kai_ »

Yay Thanks!! :D
Vibonacci
Greenhorn

Post by Vibonacci »

Noticed a big issue during first MP match... After 10-15 min the console wouldn't open with ` and chat messages wouldn't pop up. Haven't noticed this with b9. A weird side effect happened while issue occured: health bars of units out of screen were visable over whole the map:
wz2100_shot_002.png
UPDATE:

I'll rephrase that. Console doens't open at all with `. However the sound of open and close console is played. Using Win XP. Another issue is that alt+tab doesn't work properly anymore: cursor gets locked in top left corner while alt+tabbing.

hope this helps

greet,

vib
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Dude, WTF. Never use filefactory for an image (or anything else). :| Just attach it, like I did with your post.
Mabsterone
Trained
Trained

Post by Mabsterone »

Hi tested the b10 ( last i tested was 2.2.4 ) and its working good here, looks like mp lobby and gameplay got a lot more stable.

Nevertheless, i am a bit sad about balancing weapons right now.
It looks like the pulse lasers got weaker, which i donot understand.
It was the only ( and very difficult to play ) match against people playing the rocket tactics. It was a bit weaker then scourge in battle but matched that due to lower production costs and higher unit outputs.
Of course you were always under pressure, because rocket research provided very good long range artillery and pulse not..but it was worth trying to battle someone down even under long ranmge artillery fire.

in b10... pulse just has no chance against scourge tanks, even if you outnumber them.

I do not understand the idea behind it.

baller-artilllery and Canons are no option at all for endgames, gauss needs very long to get and most of the times you are dead before you get there. baller artilery is fine tuned and looses endgame most of the time due lack of range, but thats fine, cause its a long way to get arcangles ) But basically, you are dead anyway going for ballers, there is no point in a t1 game where they really provide an advantage imo.

mg/pulse is good for rushing, balnced nicely but if you dont kill your oponent in the first 10 mins, you are in a dead research end, cause pulse simply sucks ( except AA ). The point you got no artillery stuff in this tech-tactic isnt matched by an decent endgame weapon, wich makes this techonology tree obsolete.

So in the end, everyone will use rockets. Work pretty decent in all states of a t1 game 8 if you survive the first 10 mins) have AA capability too and work fine on vtols, provide the most deadly/range combo for artillery, The bastions provide large cover area and a lot of punch.

Why should anyone play anything else instead of rockets ? Sad that the laser alternative ( which provided at leat a chance to match a rocket tec) was downgraded so much ( i do not know the stats, but in game, they just feel extrem weak).

And someone should really take care of canons...its a huge research tec wich is just obsolete right now, whatever you do in there, it does not provide any chance of getting an advantage at any time in the game.

Right now, wz is all about rocket tech, only additional thing you need to do is some AA research.

btw...the AA upgrades are fine and good blanced now. Big improvment to older versions.
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

Mabsterone wrote:...
Lasers aren't meant to fight tanks; they are for cyborgs.
Mabsterone
Trained
Trained

Post by Mabsterone »

KukY wrote:
Mabsterone wrote:...
Lasers aren't meant to fight tanks; they are for cyborgs.

I dont mind any specialized weapons, its about the whole thing. There is right now no alternative to rockets.
There is no match to rocket tec, wahtever you research. That would be fine if this would just be for the endgame situation and you had a hard time to get there, but basically roc tec provides good coverage all the time.
So onoone will use anything else, why go for something you got no chance to win with against a player matching your skills ?

Just an example: Yesterday i played a match where i was doing fine all the time. My opponent wasted tons of aircrafts and i was quite sure i had an advantage, since my powerups where fast ( we played a high oil map, so max oilrig for both ) and my research was running constantly in all 5 researchers. I survved his massive air attacks with minimum losses, so i should have been in advantage energy wise.
So when i had made my way to pulse, i started building units with all 5 facs, state of the art tec and body wise ( armor res, engine ) I managed to build more then 2 times the ground units he had ( according to the sat-radar) and teased him out of base to fight his small army down in the open ground. Bottom line...i lost, having more then twice the uit he had with the same body and good reearched armor tec. i did not even make my way to his rocket base defence ( which was a lot more expensive then my basic defence. And thats something wrong in there... its just not feeling right if you go for a tec where you except the disdadvantage of no artillery and loose already in the open field with 2 to 1 unit count. And it would have been the same with heavy lasers, cannons and rails ( would not have had gauss at that time in the game )

And thats just sad.
Last edited by Mabsterone on 08 Feb 2010, 15:53, edited 2 times in total.
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

AI become really research maniacs =) For 20 min 2 BOTs made me in tech & had crashed me like I would do in beta9 or previous =). Nice, but only one thing I want to mention that AI very intense with oil scouting.
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
KukY
Regular
Regular

Post by KukY »

Mabsterone wrote:I dont mind any specialized weapons, its about the whole thing. There is right now no alternative to rockets.
There is no match to rocket tec, wahtever you research. That would be fine if this would just be for the endgame situation and you had a hard time to get there, but basically roc tec provides good coverage all the time.
So onoone will use anything else, why go for something you got no chance to win with against a player matching your skills ?

And thats just sad.
You are saying that rockets are too strong.
This is where Cyborgs take their part.
Group of 10 Lancer cyborgs has no problems defeating group of 25 Cobra Hover Lancers.

Believe me, there is a way to handle everything, even artillery since we have Radar detector. :)
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

Cannon or rocket cyborgs beat rocket tanks, easily. A flamer-hover rush can also do plenty of damage to a bunch of rocket tanks. Rails aren't that hard to research, either, and will win out against rocket tracks.
Mabsterone
Trained
Trained

Post by Mabsterone »

KukY wrote: You are saying that rockets are too strong.
This is where Cyborgs take their part.
Group of 10 Lancer cyborgs has no problems defeating group of 25 Cobra Hover Lancers.

Believe me, there is a way to handle everything, even artillery since we have Radar detector. :)
No, try to attack against someone who just got a handfull of ripples ( wich are pretty early avail ) or mrl ( minirok battery ) tanks, you have no chance.

I dont say rockets are too strong, i just say that the rocket tec tree covers the whole game and dominates 90% of it, from t1 to endgame.
There are no alternatives accept early rush against rocket players, even if youmanage to get an adavantage in engery while playing. All other tec trees are wasted energy and time, because you dont get one single point in the game where you get an advantage over the rocket tec that is availabe at that point.

As said above, there needs to be an endgame dominant tec, no problem with that. Whati dont understand is the point, that its the end of a tec tree wich rules the battlefiel anyway most of the time.