2.3 Beta 4 is out!

The projects speaking tube.
Add your two cents if you want to.
nobby
Rookie
Rookie

Strange behaviour on wide spectrum sensor (2.3 Beta 4 is out

Post by nobby »

I've observed an odd behaviour with 2.3b4 where a wide spectrum sensor will attempt to get into line of sight of artillery it's directing CB fire against. It will even attempt a charge directly into a base to get to a howitzer behind the base. Note that the CB sensor turret does not do this.

Additionally, trying to give the WS sensor droids orders to back off is next to impossible; the droid will go back to chasing any artillery that fires on it.

To reproduce (I):

o Find a map with substantial terrain obstacles (I used ArizaII)
o Play a long turtle game against the stock AI to give the AIs some time to build artillery emplacements. Start at T3 to get the WS sensor quickly.
o Build some SP artillery and a WS sensor droid
o Find a base where the AI has built some emplaced howitzers
o Move the sensor into range of one of the AI's sensors so the AI opens fire with artillery
o Watch what the droid does. For even more fun, try and order the droid to leave the area.

From a savegame (attached)

I've attached a savegame from this map that shows the effect. You will need the ArizaII map (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1347). To reproduce from the savegame:

There is a squadron of light armour (group 1) and a squadron of scourge borgs (group 2) for ar defence. The WS sensor droid is group 0, the CB sensor droid is group 6. There are two self-propelled artillery batteries: one of hellstorms (group 9) and one of archangels (group 8).

o Assign some of the artillery to the WS sensor droid (group 0). Try this with the hellstorms and archangels.
o Move it and some of the units into range of Grey AI's base to trigger some artillery fire.
o Watch the WS sensor try to get into LOS of Grey AI's batteries. Often it wll attempt to charge right into Grey's base. Also, it will forget orders to retreat if any of Grey's artillery fires on units within sensor range and go back to attempting to get LOS to the artillery.
o Restore the game
o Assign some of the artillery to the CB sensor (group 6). Try with the hellstorms and archangels.
o Move it and some of the units into sensor range so Grey opens fire with the artillery
o The artillery assigned to the CB sensor will return fire on the enemy artillery positions but the sensor will not move.

I don't recall WS sensors doing this previously and the suicide charge behaviour is a bit silly. I seem to recall some discussion about changes to sensors but I can't find the discussion.

Question: is this meant to happen or possibly a regression? Should I file a ticket?

Nigel.
Attachments
WSTest2.7z
Savegame files
(120.94 KiB) Downloaded 346 times
Safety0ff
Trained
Trained

Re: 2.3 Beta 4 is out!

Post by Safety0ff »

sg1efc wrote:I'm no expert and I apologize in advance if this has already been asked and answered. However I did try searching bug reports, wiki, faq's and this forum but did not find results to really help me. When I start Gamma 6, it starts and ends saying objective failed, in only about 4 seconds of game play.

I am on Ubuntu 9.10 playing Warzone Beta 4 through Wine, which so far has worked awesomely for me (I have no idea how to compile as I am an Ubuntu newbie still, LoL). Has this problem happened to anyone else? I did play the previous mission over completely but the same few seconds objective failed message happened once again in this mission. Attached a screenshot so you can see which map I mean.

Already completely reinstalled 2.3 beta 4, but that did not make a difference. Thank you very much for any help and suggestions. :D
Fixed in http://developer.wz2100.net/changeset/8970

This is wrong. -Zarel
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Re: 2.3 Beta 4 is out!

Post by Zarel »

You'll notice the changeset doesn't reference the bug ticket, and the bug ticket doesn't reference the changeset.

The bug and the fix are unrelated.