2.3 Beta 1 is out!

The projects speaking tube.
Add your two cents if you want to.
Buginator
Professional
Professional

2.3 Beta 1 is out!

Post by Buginator »

The developer staff brings you the release of Warzone 2100 2.3 Beta 1.

This release is based on 2.2, with the new netcode from trunk. It squashed some more bugs, and other numerous things, but the main point of this beta release is to get as much feedback as we can for the newer netcode, and we need to see how much better this code is compared to the older code.

Call for help with testing!
We need everyone to test multiplayer games, we just don't have enough devs to play full 8 player games!
We need to know about sync issues, and everything else multiplayer related, as well as any other issues in campaign games.
Help us make the 2.3.0 release better!

***NOTE: 2.3 games can't play with 2.2.x games!
Everyone must use the same version to play. So update today! :3

For a complete list see the Changelog.

As always: Please report all bugs, without them, we can't fix them!
Since there is some confusion on how to handle bug reports, I have decided to post the bug reporting guidelines here:

Bug Reporting
Bugs are different kinds of errors and glitches that sometimes can even lead to crashes. Due to the limited resources of the Warzone 2100 Project not everything can be tested prior to release. In order to be able to fix those bugs we need you to report those bugs. For the bug reports to be the most helpful we put up this page as a guide to writing good bug reports.

How to report bugs
  • Use the search to find out, if your bug has not been reported yet.
  • If you did find it there and you have more information than was provided by the original reporter, add your information.
  • If you did not find it, submit a new bug report
  • Write something meaningful into the summary. Not just "I found a bug", but instead write "Crash when building units" (for example).
  • Give a very detailed description of the bug and how to reproduce it. This is the most important information!
  • If you are using the trunk version from Subversion, be sure to add the used revision, too.
  • If you are using a version from a package repository, be sure to add information on the package.
  • State which operating system and version of it you are running. This includes the service pack under Windows and the distribution on Linux.
  • Information about the game options you chose and the drivers (video/audio) you use and your hardware is very useful to us.
  • Additionally you could provide backtraces, logfiles, screenshots and other additional information you can get as an attachment. (Backtraces in pastebins ("nopaste") or on upload sites are NOT useful.)
  • Savegames that can reproduce the issue are very much welcomed! Package the savegamename.gam, savegamename.es (if exists), and everything in the savegamename folder as well in a zip file.
  • If you can, please attach the crash mini dump file to your bug report. If you are using an executable you compiled yourself, please attach the executable as well, so that the developers can use it to extract information from the dump file.
  • On Windows, you can find stderr.txt & warzone2100.RPT (crash dump file) in the same directory as warzone2100.exe is in.
  • On Linux, you can find the crash dump in /tmp.
Now that you know all this, use http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket to create a bug report!
Thanks!

As always, download from http://wz2100.net/download

Change Log

2009-11-14: Version 2.3.0 beta 1
General:
  • Fix: Use Enable GLC_AUTO_FONT to enable it to fallback to different fonts if the default font doesn't contain the needed font. (r8365)
  • Change: Try to display dialog box when a internal game error causes game to crash on Windows (r8307)
  • Fix: Reduce the time it takes to rebuild font cache on Vista and Windows 7 (ticket:1013, r8322)
  • Fix: Collection of smaller bugfixes (ticket:997, ticket:1018, ticket:1021, ticket:1006)
  • Change: Switched fontconfig question from scary pop-up message to NLS sub-feature (r8359, ticket:1034).
  • Fix: make distcheck should now work after initial make (to generate yacc/lex files) (r8360)
  • Add: add new debug flag of "input" used for debug messages for input issues (keyboard/mouse) (r8376)
  • Change: Add modifier to the keymap editor to show which keys are set to the numpad (r8376)
  • Change: Warzone 2100 -2.3 is the new (default) config direcotry (r8387)
  • Change: NTW Research Balance Update, Cannons, Missiles & Rockets (r8385)
Multiplayer:
  • Change: Drop SDL_NET in favor of using BSD sockets (same as trunk code) (r8342, ticket:1038)
  • Change: Try to mitigate turnOffMultiMsg() via setting isMPDirtyBit when needed. (r8369)
  • Change: Max unit count is down from 300 to 150 to mitigate bandwidth issues. (r8369)
  • Change: Sync code is now run when isMPDirtyBit is set or 315ms has expired for droids / 630ms for power / 450 ms for structures (r8383)
  • Change: Ping (in game, not lobby!) & Score is now sent more frequently (r8369)
  • Change: MAX_BYTESPERSEC bump up to 7K from ~3.3K to mitigate when we can sync. (r8369)
  • Change: When we have reached MAX_BYTESPERSEC limit, inform of this event in the logs **FOR THIS BETA ONLY** (r8369)
  • Change: Only tally up outgoing bytes instead of both incoming and outgoing bytes when checking for max packet size. (8386)
and it ends here.
coolkid
Trained
Trained

Re: 2.3 Beta 1 is out!

Post by coolkid »

nice keep up the good work. But I hope some of these changes are temp like cutting the max unit count in half or at lest make it a sever side option on what to use.
the largest wz steam community http://steamcommunity.com/groups/wz2100 (all welcome to join help find matches find new relese and recruit new players)
zoid
Trained
Trained

Post by zoid »

I have trunk. Do I need to get 2.3 Beta 1 or can I stick with Subversion?
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

2.3 is based on 2.2, with the netcode from trunk. If you want to help testing the 2.3 beta, trunk won't help (but both are in svn).
sadasa
New user

Post by sadasa »

do as in the age of empires 2 conqueror that can Select whether you are player or system (which you play alone) sorry for my bad English (once read and understand if they want to delete this comment)
Professor
Greenhorn

Post by Professor »

I will try it hopefully I find 2 turrets :( on it

[If my english is bad sorry I`m typeing in dark]
Finally I can open a server now :)
sadasa
New user

Post by sadasa »

that the 2.3 beta 2 will make you an option to play without touching anything
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

sadasa wrote:that the 2.3 beta 2 will make you an option to play without touching anything
That's already available; I believe it's the "demo" cheat.
RockDude91
New user

Post by RockDude91 »

I've downloaded the l8est release and found tht warzone 2.2 is still in my documents ??? :-S

Do I still need tht if ive got the 2.3 beta version

btw I also saw tht there is an original warzone (Maybe needed 4 tht?)
yamar
Trained
Trained

Post by yamar »

when I did a test game with some others, only 1 person was unable to be anything other than green, so there was 1 red and 7 greens... just thought you'd like to know.

Cheers, Yamar
napzero
Greenhorn

Post by napzero »

Wow guys, whatever you did in 2.3, it sure as heck can be felt on the Mac version! Somehow it feels more solid, and the graphics especially, in particular the cursors look simply perfect! No tearing, ghosting, blur, or pixelation. It may be subjective, but I think fog of war is smoother too. The minimap is simply different, but for sure more readable, at least on a small map I tried. Great work!