The projects speaking tube.
Add your two cents if you want to.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Re: 2.2.3 is released!

Post by Per »

There are four format changes coming up that will impact modders:

1) wzscript to lua script format (ETA unknown)
2) PIE to WZM model format (ETA unknown - might be a while)
3) .gam to .ini/.png map format (as soon as I can)
4) map terrain texture changes (already done in trunk)

The first three will have converter programs that will convert old formats and mods to the new world. The last one won't.
A4tech
Trained
Trained

Post by A4tech »

whippersnapper wrote:HUH ? Did I miss something or did you not already answer your own question BEFORE your first post. ?

There is no half-way working with Grim Mod - it's either / or. And I explained exactly why for those with a practical stake in these matters because they are active devs-creators.

This discussion has progressed to a broader context (with precise substance and specificity of related strats and tacs of creating-deving) in matters of concern to active modders-mappers-artists and developers, now and into the future. You don't have to belong to any of those active categories of participants in order to learn stuff of value however if you have NO interest in learning anything of substance and specificity as far as the nuts 'n bolts in deving WZ moving into the future, then I would suggest you move-on and have fun playing the game because you will get NOTHING out of this discussion unless you have that aforementioned commitment to learning... minimum.

Regards, whip :ninja:
Wow man, just take it easy, I'am not well at english don't understand full what you wrote. K, I got it, no questions at all... Sorry.
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

Per wrote:There are four format changes coming up that will impact modders:

1) wzscript to lua script format (ETA unknown)
2) PIE to WZM model format (ETA unknown - might be a while)
3) .gam to .ini/.png map format (as soon as I can)
4) map terrain texture changes (already done in trunk)

The first three will have converter programs that will convert old formats and mods to the new world. The last one won't.
On # 3. No doubt there are advantages and pros to this move - could you elaborate a bit ? Thanks.
A4tech wrote: Wow man, just take it easy, I'am not well at english don't understand full what you wrote. K, I got it, no questions at all... Sorry.
Sorry but no amount of sleight-of-hand misdirection or rationalization will change the fact that the question you posed in your second post you already answered before you made your first post.

AND - I've long been actively committed to the Socratic Method which is built entirely around posing questions in a rational manner so characterizing any of my statements as advocating asking NO questions is a pure miss-representation of my core position in ALL matters - not just this little game we all like called WZ 2100. ;)

As well - there are some pretty good translators out there on the web accessible to all these days that mostly have problems with idiomatic expressions, poetry, neologisms, discipline specific jargon and acronyms. So if after you use one of these translators and still find some stuff mystifying then by all means ask follow-up questions for clarification. I've worked successfully for years, & remotely, with folk that could barely speak a word of English and I in-turn was not at all fluent in their native language. In the process they achieved an impressive prowess in English, I learned more of their language and culture AND we both achieved our shared-common goals, enjoying the whole process to boot. It's what you make of these exchanges and interactions by disposition and attitude, that determines the nature of these outcomes - not really so much the different native tongues, in and of themselves, at the start.

Regards, whip :D
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

whippersnapper wrote:On # 3. No doubt there are advantages and pros to this move - could you elaborate a bit ?
The current, binary savegame format is very hard to extend without breaking backward compatibility. This makes us hesitate on a lot of changes that would require savegame changes. The big advantage of a text based format (.ini) is that it is easy to add and ignore fields in it without breaking things. The big advantage of .png format for per tile related map information is that you can look at this information with a simple image viewer, it is very easy to make editors for it, and it compresses extremely well.
crockerjc82
Rookie
Rookie

Post by crockerjc82 »

i got version, 2.2.2, if i download this version, will there be any differance
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

crockerjc82 wrote:i got version, 2.2.2, if i download this version, will there be any differance
Do you really think we'd make a new version if there was no difference? Read the changelog in the first post and decide for yourself... O_o
crockerjc82
Rookie
Rookie

Post by crockerjc82 »

i am new to this so i didnt know, i thought i would ask the people who did know, so you don't have to be rude
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

Per wrote:
The current, binary savegame format is very hard to extend without breaking backward compatibility.

This makes us hesitate on a lot of changes that would require savegame changes.

The big advantage of a text based format (.ini) is that it is easy to add and ignore fields in it without breaking things.

The big advantage of .png format for per tile related map information is that you can look at this information with a simple image viewer, it is very easy to make editors for it, and it compresses extremely well.
Thank you for that detailed explanation. The soundness of the reasoning is obvious as is the future promise it makes possible.

Regards, whip :cool:
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

You forgot CSV to SQLite.
whippersnapper
Regular
Regular

Post by whippersnapper »

Zarel wrote:You forgot CSV to SQLite.
Oh yea... a vaguely remember mention of that in IRC logs from a while back.

This is all really important information.

I should aggregate all this compatibility info outside the context of this thread because it does transcend this particular version and merits, at the very least, a dedicated thread for modders-artists-mappers to be fully informed going forward

Regards, whip :ninja:
pmat
Rookie
Rookie

Post by pmat »

Still waiting for the Mac OS X version :D

BTW is there an updated guide about compiling WZ from source on Snow Leopard (required dependencies, setting env variables, etc) ?
winsrp
Trained
Trained

Post by winsrp »

another thing i noticed with minimap is that as you make it bigger dots on the map start to fade out... if you have lets say, 40 untaken oil wells and they are flashing on the mini map, as you make it bigger they start to disapear.
yamar
Trained
Trained

Post by yamar »

pmat wrote:Still waiting for the Mac OS X version :D

BTW is there an updated guide about compiling WZ from source on Snow Leopard (required dependencies, setting env variables, etc) ?
↑ I agree with that statement :D

Cheers, Yamar
Kostia2226
New user

Post by Kostia2226 »

Иностранци, вы можете подсказать где можно: download all music the Warzone 2100. Beforehand thankful from all Ukraine
A4tech
Trained
Trained

Post by A4tech »

Kostia2226 wrote:Иностранци, вы можете подсказать где можно: download all music the Warzone 2100. Beforehand thankful from all Ukraine
Kostia, Warzone 2100 imeet tolka 2 soundtrack'a i 1 meniu muzyku. Ty mozes ih naity na youtube. Vvedi v search "warzone 2100 soundtrack" i naidios playlist. Kaciaj eto cerez liuboj youtube downloader.