2.2.1 now out!

The projects speaking tube.
Add your two cents if you want to.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Re: 2.2.1 now out!

Post by Zarel »

Per wrote:All 2.2.x releases are going to be savegame compatible for single player campaign. We will try hard to keep compatibility for skirmish games as well, but no guarantees.
Meh. If my truck-mind-control bugfix wasn't a good enough reason to break skirmish compatibility, then I doubt anything that comes up will be...

In retrospect, I think we should've left the bugfix in. I mean, really, skirmish savegames between major versions? The gameplay is much different, anyway (Rebalance). I'm not even sure if we even have savegame compatibility; I made sure not to do anything that would obviously break savegame compatibility in Rebalance, but I don't think I ever tested it, and I probably did.
themousemaster
Regular
Regular

Post by themousemaster »

Well, I guess I'll put 2.2.1 up before continuing, as conjoined Rearm pads will be quite useful.
johnD
Greenhorn

Post by johnD »

hi all,
how i can download the offline installer?
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

johnD wrote:hi all,
how i can download the offline installer?
...what? If you want the videos, those can be downloaded as 'sequences.wz' on the download page.

http://wz2100.net/download
johnD
Greenhorn

Post by johnD »

i'm looking for the offline installer of the game because the 50mb one download somethings from internet and i need to install the game on a pc that no has internet.
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

johnD wrote:i'm looking for the offline installer of the game because the 50mb one download somethings from internet and i need to install the game on a pc that no has internet.
Yeah, the 50MB one downloads sequences.wz. Uncheck "video" during the installation (or just let it try to download and fail), and it will install the rest of Warzone, just fine. Then, if you want video, you can download http://guide.wz2100.net/files/sequences.wz separately, and then move it into C:/Program Files/Warzone 2100/
johnD
Greenhorn

Post by johnD »

ok tnx y
Desolator4u
Trained
Trained

Post by Desolator4u »

Oh man, it sure has been a while since I was in IRC with you guys or even played my beloved WZ. Stupid College and final projects got me so damn busy.
Glad to see the development is still going. As a fan of WZ since '99, I really appreciate the continued work, and all I can offer you guys in return is just a measly thanks... :|

~Des
>> Xfire ID: desolator4u | Warzone 2100 Xfire Group: http://www.xfire.com/communities/theproject/ <<
WarzoneCommander
New user

Post by WarzoneCommander »

Hi!

I have a little problem with the gameplay and a few feature suggestions.

First the problem:
When I play against my buddy (any map with T2 or greater tech level) he allways rushes his trucks to grab as many power resources as possible (that´s not a problem) and then starts to build as many howitzers as possible to his base.
After that he send few trucks from different directions near to my base and starts to build hardened sensor towers.
Immediately after that the damn things (howitzers) start to bombard my base even if they are in the another end of the map !!!

This is starting to get really frustating because I have no defense whatsoever !

I could destroy the sensors but it takes time and even if suggesful he just starts to build couple of new ones in the another direction.
I could also send aircrafts to blast them but usually he has also build a strong line of AA-defenses a few blocks before them.
So, I cannot destroy my enemy artillery (easily) from air nor from ground and this bring in the following suggestion:

- Warzone needs badly a radar jammer (or similar) vehicle/tower that would cloak all the buildings & vechicles within its radius from the various sensor towers & vechicles. The radius doesn´t have to be a big one just enough to cover a couble of tanks or maybe 1-3 big buildings (like factory or power generator).

I believe that Command & Conquer (Red Alert 1 or 2 can't remember anymore) had something like that.

Also, what I read from the games README it says the following:
"
radarTerrainMode=0
Sets the radar mode Warzone 2100 will use: Terrain only (0 or 1),
heightmap only (2), terrain and heightmap combined (3) or no terrain and
no heightmap (4). Any value greater than or equal to 5 will make the game
use terrain only mode.
"

Does that mean that if I but that "radarTerrainMode=3" to my (and my buddys) config file the artillery will be not so devastating and I can atleast try cover behind hills & mountains ?

Also, I noticed that the latest version of the game finally introduced a way to "paint" aircraft launchpads !
Yay ! :D

It is good but it could be better (and so would *all* the wall/bunker building operations) if you could paint the desired building operation in both X- &
Y-axis simultaneously with a single mouse move.
Now I still have to build my launchpads/bunkers/walls etc. row by row.
It' s just a suggestion ...

And could the next version of the game introduce a game menu option to get rid of the structure limits (5 research labs is just too little :) )

And finally (this is the last request I promise) I would love to see a aircraft that could transports vechicles too and not just cyborgs.
Either a new transporter or modify the existing one so that for each:
- 2 cyborgs that you could normally store in your transporter you could but 1 light tank instead
- 3 cyborgs would be equal to 1 medium tank
- and finally 4 cyborgs would be equal to 1 heavy tank

What do you think ?
Is these modifications possible ?
Zarel
Elite
Elite

Post by Zarel »

WarzoneCommander wrote:First the problem:
When I play against my buddy (any map with T2 or greater tech level) he allways rushes his trucks to grab as many power resources as possible (that´s not a problem) and then starts to build as many howitzers as possible to his base.
After that he send few trucks from different directions near to my base and starts to build hardened sensor towers.
Immediately after that the damn things (howitzers) start to bombard my base even if they are in the another end of the map !!!

This is starting to get really frustating because I have no defense whatsoever !

I could destroy the sensors but it takes time and even if suggesful he just starts to build couple of new ones in the another direction.
I could also send aircrafts to blast them but usually he has also build a strong line of AA-defenses a few blocks before them.
So, I cannot destroy my enemy artillery (easily) from air nor from ground and this bring in the following suggestion:

- Warzone needs badly a radar jammer (or similar) vehicle/tower that would cloak all the buildings & vechicles within its radius from the various sensor towers & vechicles. The radius doesn´t have to be a big one just enough to cover a couble of tanks or maybe 1-3 big buildings (like factory or power generator).

I believe that Command & Conquer (Red Alert 1 or 2 can't remember anymore) had something like that.
Hmm, well, we're working on making hovercraft more artillery resistant, but until then, just use tanks to destroy the sensor towers and trucks. They're really not that hard to destroy.

We're planning on an ECM system (radar jamming) eventually, but not anytime soon.
WarzoneCommander wrote:Also, what I read from the games README it says the following:
"
radarTerrainMode=0
Sets the radar mode Warzone 2100 will use: Terrain only (0 or 1),
heightmap only (2), terrain and heightmap combined (3) or no terrain and
no heightmap (4). Any value greater than or equal to 5 will make the game
use terrain only mode.
"

Does that mean that if I but that "radarTerrainMode=3" to my (and my buddys) config file the artillery will be not so devastating and I can atleast try cover behind hills & mountains ?
No, that only applies to direct weapons. Artillery can always go over obstacles; that's one of the whole points of artillery. ;)
WarzoneCommander wrote:And could the next version of the game introduce a game menu option to get rid of the structure limits (5 research labs is just too little :) )
No, that would imbalance the game. Sorry. :/

People already spend too much of their time doing research and not enough actually playing, imho.
WarzoneCommander wrote:And finally (this is the last request I promise) I would love to see a aircraft that could transports vechicles too and not just cyborgs.
Either a new transporter or modify the existing one so that for each:
- 2 cyborgs that you could normally store in your transporter you could but 1 light tank instead
- 3 cyborgs would be equal to 1 medium tank
- and finally 4 cyborgs would be equal to 1 heavy tank

What do you think ?
Is these modifications possible ?
It's a bit unbalanced. I prefer the current way - it makes the cyborgs more special.
WarzoneCommander
New user

Post by WarzoneCommander »

Hmm, well, we're working on making hovercraft more artillery resistant, but until then, just use tanks to destroy the sensor towers and trucks. They're really not that hard to destroy.

We're planning on an ECM system (radar jamming) eventually, but not anytime soon.
Great !
I have hope ! :D
No, that only applies to direct weapons. Artillery can always go over obstacles; that's one of the whole points of artillery. ;)
Ok. I was hoping that setting would make them little harder to hit me :/
No, that would imbalance the game. Sorry. :/

People already spend too much of their time doing research and not enough actually playing, imho.
You are probably right. I myself are one of thouse "carefull research type" gamers (hey ! I want all the cool toys first and THEN I will kick my buddys butt *grin*)
It's a bit unbalanced. I prefer the current way - it makes the cyborgs more special.
Damn...

Once I managed to get my transporter aircraft past my buddys AA-defense and landed straight into his base. He laughted that I was crazy.
Well he diden't laught anymore when I unloaded the transporter full of thermite cyborgs that started to burn his base :D
I could imagine his face if I had unloaded something like 1 dragon class tank with plasma cannon or similar :)

Anyway, thanks and I will be looking for that ECM stuff in the future versions ! :)
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

WarzoneCommander wrote:Does that mean that if I but that "radarTerrainMode=3" to my (and my buddys) config file the artillery will be not so devastating and I can atleast try cover behind hills & mountains ?
IIRD that setting only affects how the minimap is drawn, nothing else.
jonrio
Greenhorn

Post by jonrio »

how about a server explorer browser application with out when u get kick u exit it will start it back up
Safety0ff
Trained
Trained

Post by Safety0ff »

In my opinion I think the visuals in the first image look better except for the defect of the gap between the tiles (although i'd much rather play without the gaps.)
Either way good job on the release!
pleasehelp
New user

I can't get the game to play with pic!

Post by pleasehelp »

I downloaded the game but I can't seem to get it to play. It starts and I see the pics and here the background but then the pic freezes or turns black and all I can hear it the background as if the game started.