The projects speaking tube.
Add your two cents if you want to.
Kamaze
Regular
Regular

Version 2.1 beta 5 released

Post by Kamaze »

Discussion topic for: Version 2.1 beta 5 released
We all have the same heaven, but not the same horizon.
EVIL386
Trained
Trained

Re: Version 2.1 beta 5 released

Post by EVIL386 »

Wow guys this is awsome. Can't wait to try it out, I'm so glad the path finding issue has been at least worked on as it was the only thing really stopping me from enjoying my games.

Keep it up! :D
mcdebugger
Trained
Trained

Post by mcdebugger »

Heheey!
My friend now tests this release while I'm emerging world =)
hooh, wanna test it too :) I think I wouldn't sleep today :D
I think this beta is the first in the fork that can fully pretend for RC (release candidate) state =)
Zi-Chan
Trained
Trained

Post by Zi-Chan »

Don't know, where to post, since there is no Topic for it, so i'm posting it here.
I downloaded the FMV-Trunk and have to tell you: I don't see any Video, Screen stays black. Only Sound is hearable.
Watching the .ogg-Files using VLC Media Player works.
What Infos do you need?

And by the Way: Did Pumpkin Studios release the FMVs in the other Languages too? I want the german ones :|
:ninja:
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

You need texture rectangle support in order to view the FMVs.

Regards, Freddie.
Zi-Chan
Trained
Trained

Post by Zi-Chan »

Alright, then this is the next Thing, which can work flawless without this Extension.

My PC wants it to be used as sparsely as possible - Videos definitively don't need it. :|
EvilGuru
Regular
Regular

Post by EvilGuru »

Unlikely. For those lacking support for texture rectangle there is always 2.1 (which does not require it).

With 2.2 we have decided to increase the minimum hardware requirement somewhat. Currently if you lack support for it you will not be able to view the FMVs. Nothing else currently requires this extension.

To the best of my knowledge you are the only active member whose hardware does not support texture rectangle. A conservative estimate would be that less than 1% of our users do not support it. All new hardware supports it, so this number is ever decreasing. It does not make sense to spend developer time working around it when it could be spent bug-fixing (bugs which affect 90-100% of the users).

Of course, if someone wishes to hack the FMV patch such that it does not require the extension then there is a good chance it will be accepted. (Although more code in the works requires it.) I suggest you find yourself a cheap PCI graphics card.
Zi-Chan wrote:My PC wants it to be used as sparsely as possible - Videos definitively don't need it.
Yes — they do. Videos are not a power of two in size, they have rectangular dimensions. This extension was designed for showing flat, 2D surfaces (without transformations) on screen whose dimensions are not exact powers of two.

Regards, Freddie.
Zi-Chan
Trained
Trained

Post by Zi-Chan »

Like i said in the other Thread - i don't want to hinder the Development. I know that and it's ok.
I don't know the Advantage of Using the Extension at Videos, but Warzone is the first Game ever, where i can't see them. At the old 1.10 Warzone it was no Problem to show Videos. Even at newer Games there are none. So where is the need of the Extension here? :|
I think, i have to ask around for somebody doing the Work on the Code. :|

P.S.: PCI-Graphics Cards are never cheap - if, then they are old (2-4 Megabytes :...: ). And the biggest Memory is about 128 MB, as far as i know. And this is about 80 Euros or something - more than PCI-Express with 512 MB O_o
Giel
Regular
Regular

Post by Giel »

Zi-Chan wrote:I don't know the Advantage of Using the Extension at Videos, but Warzone is the first Game ever, where i can't see them.
The advantage is quite simple actually: there's a *lot* less code that needs to be written. This has two advantages, firstly there's less code for bugs to hide in, and secondly there's a *lot* less time needed for writing and testing of that code. The time factor is the most important one, considering that time is the scarcest resource at our disposal. So if you are willing to implement video playback without extension (or can find anyone else who's willing to do so) then feel free to submit a patch.

PS Also note that at this point in time the FMV playback code is still a work in progress...
Troglodactyl
Greenhorn

Post by Troglodactyl »

I don't know how many others are in this position, but I use a laptop with integrated graphics and no support for rectangular texturing. That said, FMVs don't affect gameplay, so the situation is much better than when it was required for minimap functionality. They'd be nice though, and the only way I know that I could fix the issue on this end would be buying a new laptop, so I'm hoping eventually it will be handled differently.
pleasedontspamme
Greenhorn

Post by pleasedontspamme »

Do you want any crash reports from beta 5, and where do you want them?
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

pleasedontspamme wrote:Do you want any crash reports from beta 5, and where do you want them?
http://developer.wz2100.net/
Create a new ticket.

Put as much info as possible, and if you can reproduce it, please tell/show us (with save games or whatever) how.
and it ends here.
Andrix88
New user

Post by Andrix88 »

hi to everybody i was a fan of warzone for ps1, i would to know if with this new beta version i can see video ?
Buginator
Professional
Professional

Post by Buginator »

Andrix88 wrote:hi to everybody i was a fan of warzone for ps1, i would to know if with this new beta version i can see video ?
No.
2.1 will *not* have the FMVs (videos).
2.2 will.
You can get a nightly build that has the FMV code in it though, just look in the forums for the nightly thread, and download the FMVs, and install them correctly.
and it ends here.