Help needed testing 3.2.x Campaign games!

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Omeganexus
Greenhorn

Re: Help needed testing 3.2.x Campaign games!

Post by Omeganexus »

Or you might be able to load a save on Beta 5 before the base problem, save over it, and load it again.
Unfortunately, using the same save before destroying the bases, and saving again and then loading, did not work.
Bethrezen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bethrezen »

Unfortunately I only got as far as testing beta 03 due to the issues i was having with the lancer vtols one shotting my troops and since my saves where quiet old i decide to start again since there have been quiet a few changes so its going to take me a little while to get back to beta since i need to play through alpha again, though from what i can recall of this bug it's actually quiet rare although i have encounter it before but not often the last time I encountered it was on alpha 06 but that was several months ago and the last time I played beta 05 everything worked as it should.

Your best best would be to load up a save at the end of beta 4 assuming you have one and then just replay beta 05, this is why its recommended to make a save at the start and at the end of each level that way if you encounter difficulties like this you don't loose massive amounts of progress, also assuming that you are running master you could also try updating to the latest master which was updated on 25-Jan-2018 and then try again, obviously if your beta 5 save is already bugged then that wont help but if you have a save before the game bugged you might be able to get it to complete correctly.
alfred007
Regular
Regular

Post by alfred007 »

I updated to master 42db8f7 and used your mod. I started at the end of alpha 2 and played until the end of alpha 04. Everything looks fine, only the queue for the audio message that reinforcements are available is too short. The message comes shortly before the transporter has landed. You should add 10 more seconds.

Attached are the logs. The first log is playing from the end of alpha 02 until shortly before I recover the mortar artifact in alpha 04. The second is from a reloaded game before I recovered the mortar artifact and the third from a reloaded game after I recovered the mortar artifact.
Attachments
logs alpha.zip
(7.06 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
Bethrezen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bethrezen »

I've only played about as far as alpha 02 with this mod and everything looked ok although the mobile repair units were annoying me because they where failing to keep my units up due to the previously mentions issues so i decided to take a brake for a bit anyway I did notice that the mod seemed to change the behaviour of the scavs some, where before they would keep trying to attack my base this time round they kept going after my oil derreks, the other thing i noticed although this is not related to the mod its is related to other previous changes is that the new paradigm scanner that you see at the start of alpha 2 no longer retreats off the map when you approach instead it just sits there getting shot up.

as for the previous mod i played to about alpha 4 with that one and didn't notice any issues with base elimination.

quick question though did this mod also incorporate the changes from the previous one where you where asking us to see if base eliminations where still working properly.
alfred007
Regular
Regular

Post by alfred007 »

Bethrezen wrote:...that the new paradigm scanner that you see at the start of alpha 2 no longer retreats off the map when you approach instead it just sits there getting shot up.
In my last tries sometimes he retreats, sometimes not. Seems to be no consistent behaviour anymore
Berserk Cyborg
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Berserk Cyborg »

Bethrezen wrote:I did notice that the mod seemed to change the behaviour of the scavs some, where before they would keep trying to attack my base this time round they kept going after my oil derreks, the other thing i noticed although this is not related to the mod its is related to other previous changes is that the new paradigm scanner that you see at the start of alpha 2 no longer retreats off the map when you approach instead it just sits there getting shot up.
quick question though did this mod also incorporate the changes from the previous one where you where asking us to see if base eliminations where still working properly.
Is the group behavior acceptable then? I did increase the attack and observe ranges, which seem to help shorter range enemy weapons like cannons attack structures explicitly. The auto-grouping was catching that scanner which should not happen with the below mod. And all the mods I upload here always reflect my campaignJS branch before pushing officially.

Edit:
Alpha 2 reinforcement sound plays after transporter exit. Probably should automate this in the library eventually. Also, did not see any way to upgrade a repair units range, probably hardcoded somewhere.
updated-campaign.wz
Bethrezen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bethrezen »

Is the group behavior acceptable then? I did increase the attack and observe ranges, which seem to help shorter range enemy weapons like cannons attack structures explicitly.
Ahh that probably explains it then because before they would normally ignore the oil derrek where the first artefact was on alpha 1 i guess that's because there site range was to short to see it, it's not a big deal either way.

one possible observation i do have however would be to see if its possible to make the scavs a bit smarter because they just kept trying to attack the oil derrek even though I had parked a few units there to stop them so one would assume then that after failing to get to that a few times they would be smart enough to figure out they aren't going to get to and either attack in larger numbers to try and take out my defenders or switch to a less defended target because if you play some of the more modern rts games you will see adaptive behaviour like this where the computer will try to counter you i know that's probably not possible given that the warzone engine is quite old but maybe its something worth investigating because i think it would make the game a bit more engaging if the AI was a bit smarter.

Dawn of war dark crusade is a good example of this if you are using a lot of tanks then the computer will counter by building more anti tank units.
Bethrezen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bethrezen »

ok so I'm running the latest master
warzone2100-master-20180125-194613-42db8f7.exe (25-Jan-2018)

I also installed the latest version of the mod and I'm noticing some odd behaviour from the new paradigm units on alpha 05 as you can see in this screen shot

For some reason only there tanks seem to attack me there light units just turtle next to the tank factory despite the fact I'm well within there sight range strange?
Bethrezen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bethrezen »

@Forgon

I'm running the latest master
warzone2100-master-20180125-194613-42db8f7.exe (25-Jan-2018)

and just encountered the midget mini map again this time on Alpha 09 as you can see in this screen shot

and this time it can't be caused by using an old save because i started again from alpha 01 with the current master and have only just reached alpha 09 just now so it looks like it may well be a coding bug, granted alpha 09 isn't a very big map but still previously the mini map would start at about the same size as the blue square that holds the buttons or there about, and i can confirm this is a new save i made just now with the current master, and I didn't shrink the mini map it started that way.

Here is the save just in case, keep in mind that to make this load you will need to also apply the included mod, the mod just includes some game fixes that Berserk Cyborg hasn't pushed yet.
Alpha 09.7z
(79.85 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
alfred007
Regular
Regular

Post by alfred007 »

I run into one weird issue. I played the alpha campaign with a mod where I reduced the base damage of the lancers to 120. Now I'm playing alpha 06 and in the Design Menue, the lancer still shows a base damage of 160. I thought my mod could maybe not working although in the logs ist written that the mod is enabled. So I changed the weapons.json file in the base.wz file and restarted without mod from the end of alpha 05. Again the lancer shows a base damage of 160. Then I started a new campaign, used the cheat for researching all and looked into the Design Menue. Base damage of 448 (160 + 18 x 16). That is 160 plus 6 upgrades of 30%.
I don't understand it. :(
By the way, until I stopped playing Alpha 06 everything worked well with base elimination.
Bethrezen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bethrezen »

now that is kind of odd maybe there is a different file that you have to modify to make it show the true damage in the design screen, certainly if the design screen is not showing the true values of a weapons damage then that needs looking at now we know from testing that the design screen shows the wrong value for lancers but that's because the code for the design screen doesn't take into account the fact that lancers / tank killers / scourge missile fire 2 shots per salvo where most other weapons only fire 1

Also i think your maths might be a bit off there because on alpha campaign you only get 3 lancer damage upgrades HEAT Rockets mk 1, HEAT Rockets mk 2, HEAT Rockets mk 3

so if you have base damage of 160 then 30% of that is 48 (160 / 100 x 30% = 48)

48 x 3 upgrades = 144

160 + 144 = 304

and since the design screen doesn't take in to account the fact that lancer fire 2 shots then it will show 304 instead of 608 which is its actually damage before modifiers are applied assuming both rockets score a hit

if you have a base damage of 120 then 30% of that is 36 (120 /100 x 30% = 36)

36 x 3 upgrades = 108

120 + 108 = 228

So again since the design screen doesn't take into account the fact that lancer fire 2 shots then it will show a damage value of 228 instead of its true damage value of 456 before modifiers are applied assuming both rockets score a hit.

now if you actually meant beta and not alpha then the maths would be as follows

160 / 100 x 30% = 48
48 x 6 upgrades = 288
160 + 288 = 448

with a base damage of 160 the design screen will show a damage value of 448 for lancers on beta although it's true damage is actually 896

120 /100 x 30% = 36
36 x 6 upgrades = 216
120 + 216 = 336

with a base damage of 120 the design screen will show a damage value of 336 for lancers on beta
although it's true damage is actually 672

currently I'm on alpha 9 with the mod and everything seems ok I haven't encountered any base elimination issues alpha 6 completed exactly as it is supposed to.
Berserk Cyborg
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Berserk Cyborg »

Bethrezen wrote: currently I'm on alpha 9 with the mod and everything seems ok I haven't encountered any base elimination issues alpha 6 completed exactly as it is supposed to.
In that case the changes seem stable.

Also the rocket research is still 20% and not 30%.
alfred007 wrote: I played the alpha campaign with a mod where I reduced the base damage of the lancers to 120.
You should upload the mod.

EDIT:
I pushed what was in the mod into master along with the multiplayer fix for repair cyborgs being available too early.
Bethrezen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bethrezen »

Also the rocket research is still 20% and not 30%.
true though if I'm reading alfreds post right he was using a mod of his own making where he reset the rocket research to 30% but was getting confused why the design screen is not showing the expected damage value.

in his case I think the issue may be 2 fold first the design screen doesn't show the true damage value for lancers which should probably get fixed if possible because that's misleading.

Second he may be doing the calculations incorrectly and therefore getting an erroneous value.
alfred007
Regular
Regular

Post by alfred007 »

What I did is using the cheat that gives me all research of the whole campaign (research all). That means that on Alpha 01 I had access for example to vengeance body. And that means that the lancer got all upgrades he can get until Gamma 09. And you can't get a damage of 448 after all upgrades when the base damage was 120.
448-160=288 288:16=18
448-120=328 328:12= 27.333333333
If the calculated 18 means 6 upgrades with 30% or 9 upgrades with 20% makes no difference.

Attached is the mod I used. But I still think the problem is not (only) the mod because I changed the weapons.json file in the base.wz file. And that should always work no matter if I use a mod or not. And it didn't work.
Attachments
Updated-Campaign.wz
(36.56 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
Berserk Cyborg
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Berserk Cyborg »

Works for me. Do you have older mods with a similar name being used?

Damage for a lancer rocket after using "research all" was 264 with your mod. Also, I added modified research/propulsion.json into your mod to prevent the type II propulsions gained by "research all" from making it impossible to design droids.
Spoiler:
Updated-Campaign.wz