Help needed testing 3.2.x Campaign games!

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
Berserk Cyborg
Code contributor
Code contributor

Re: Help needed testing 3.2.x Campaign games!

Post by Berserk Cyborg »

-Philosopher- wrote: Alpha 08
* There are two spots on the map I'd expect to be able to build on but can't - for no obvious reason. See screenshots.
Most likely there is a bit of a slope on that position. Building stuff generally requires having mostly even or flat terrain under it.
-Philosopher- wrote: Alpha 12

* Are the power levels higher than they used to be? I swear I've never ended up on over 100k power by this stage before (that's without trying too - there's no need to have such a pile in the bank...).
* How often do the enemy transports come? Might be just my imagination, but they seem more frequent than they used to be. I'll replay the level and study it more closely next time however.
* LZ didn't close down - remove the four lancer towers and it should, right?
* Haven't actually completed this stage yet. I put it aside when I couldn't close the LZ down and probably won't pick it up again as it's such a slog without being able to stop the reinforcements. I'll wait to see what the response is first. I might try playing the alpha stages through from the start again (now there's a new master) instead. Will post back if I find anything new.
Power levels should be the same on normal difficulty for the player. However, the enemy power levels were boosted for almost all missions as we were finding they would run out of power sometimes even before half the mission time was used up. For Alpha 12, The transporter should come every 10 minutes on normal when activated. As for the LZ not closing, I bet it's because of a tank trap being too close to the area that counts how many structures are around the LZ. So I will fix that.

For Alpha 7 you only need to build four non-walls on the plateau, in addition to any you make on the previous level, and fend off eleven transport loads. Or we could include the structures already built from Alpha 6 as long as that does not interfere with the video sequence.
Bethrezen wrote: Now alpha 12 that is a tricky mission on insane, although it has been substantially nurfed because it was way to hard, and while it was possible to complete it, it would take you like 3 or 4 hours, because it was like trying to fight against a force 5 tornado if you tried to go up the middle.
Ah... good times eh? It was impressive, seeing a mass of units with near infinite reinforcements at all times.
-Philosopher-
Trained
Trained

Post by -Philosopher- »

Bethrezen wrote:
Alpha 01

* Timer limited to 60 mins. Previous versions had no time limit on this stage. Is the change intended? I don't have any issue with this - 60mins is plenty - but just wanted to check this wasn't an unintentional change.
To the best of my knowledge this is intentional because people where exploiting the fact there was no timer to get absurd amounts of power by leaving the game running.
In a single player person vs. computer game what does it matter? If someone's prepared to spend ages waiting for the power to tick up for no real benefit (all they'll achieve is overkill, and - I've just learnt about this - with power bonuses for finishing early, nothing they couldn't achieve by just finishing anyway) why not let them do it?

It's mostly a philosophical point though - how was it with the original game, and should it be replicating that?
Bethrezen wrote:
Alpha 03

* 15 Min Timer total? The 15 min timer used to only kick in once a power station was upgraded (and there was no timer prior to upgrading). Is this an intentional change? What was the rationale? I think this is too short now. I was fine with it, but I'm familiar with the stage and was prepped to go. I imagined the first few stages were to ease folk into the campaign and I think the 15min clock kicking in from the beginning is a bit aggressive. Could it be put back to how it was?
* Some issues reported in the log. Invisible in the game, but away missions involving the transporter seem to throw these consistently.
Again to the best of my knowledge this is intentional because players where exploiting this to get absurd amounts of power
See comments above, plus, in this case, I think the change has introduced a new problem. I, personally, had no challenge with the shorter timer but as mentioned I've played this level several times. As one of the early levels (presumably) intended to ease new players into the game it seems too short now.
Bethrezen wrote:
Alpha 06

* Didn't end when final structure destroyed.
* CTRL-B for let me win didn't seem to work
* Manually entering "let me win" into chat did
* When I reloaded my "Stage Hasn't Ended" save game... it immediately did! So not sure how to reproduce this easily - maybe replay from one of my savegame earlier in the stage (all in attached zip file, along with the logs)?
Now that is strange because I don’t have any issues with alpha 6 failing to end on insane, and to the best of my knowledge regardless of the difficulty all the levels use the same mission scripts so if it doesn't fail on insane it shouldn’t fail on any other difficulty either.
I've reproduced it on another playthrough - see attached. I think the issue is the Scav component of the central plateau base is not being cleared correctly.
Alpha 01-06.zip
New playthrough from the start on d4d0688. Issue with Alpha 06 not finishing.
(5.67 MiB) Downloaded 128 times
Look for the savegames with names "Alpha 06-10-..." and above.
Bethrezen wrote:keep in mind if you are going for the total annihilation victory condition you must destroy all enemy units and structures, because the level won't end until you do so make sure you didn’t miss anything by using the deity cheat to reveal the map.
That's understood. I checked and hadn't missed anything (you had the wrong save below - in the one you were looking at I'd deliberately left the sensor in order to prevent the level finishing while I completed some other tasks).
Bethrezen wrote:To get cheats working you must enter debug mode (SHIFT BACKSPACE) then hit enter to bring up the chat box and type the cheat that you want like for example let me win/deity etc this was changed some time a go so I'm not surprised that hitting CTRL-B doesn't work.
That's odd. I agree SHIFT BACKSPACE is needed, but most of the cheat commands don't need entering into chat any more - see https://warzone.atlassian.net/wiki/spac ... heat+Codes. All the others work for me, just not that one.
Bethrezen wrote:[edit]

Had a look at the saves you posted for alpha 06 and it's difficult to know which save you are talking about because there are dozens i did noticed that you missed a new paradigm sensor tower see the screenshot

that might explain why you cant get alpha 06 to end, also the reason your other save ends after reload is because the gun turret destroys the sensor tower. see the screenshot.

The relevant save is "Stage Hasn't Ended". I ended the stage by building lancer towers in range of the sensor (which I'd left there deliberately until that point) and having them destroy it. The fact I was able - indeed had all the time in the word - to make this save after the sensor was destroyed (sort of) proves there was an issue. The complication is the stage finishing criteria are correctly recognised when loading from this save afresh - the stage ends instantaneously on reloading it. Probably the best way to reproduce it with this set of saves is to start from "Phase 9 - North Scav Outpost Eliminated", attack south and see if both red dots are correctly cleared on the map. For me they aren't, and it's easy to reproduce. See screenshot:

That red dot shouldn't still be there.
Bethrezen wrote:
Alpha 07

* Stage worked the way I imagined it should better than it ever has before (NP drops at various locations I expected them at), however...
* Stage didn't end. Back to the bad old days. Could be because I already had structures built at the northern base (put there in preparation during Alpha 06)?
* Exit and reload saved games from near the end of the stage didn't work (so no workaround aka Alpha 06)

I then noticed there was a new master...

Testing on Master d4d0688 (13 Sep 2017)
To the best of my knowledge, this mission works fine or at least it does on insane maybe you failed to meet the victory conditions or perhaps you missed one of the units. If I recall correctly the victory conditions for this level are destroy 11 dropships full of enemy units, build at least 1 factory and build at least 4 turrets.

I do know that on this level sometimes units can be deployed over the cliff edge if there isn’t enough room at their drop zone although that should have been fixed already. To make sure that isn’t the issue try activating the deity cheat to see if you missed anything.

Also did you build the base on alpha 06 ? or on alpha 07 if you built the base on alpha 06 then this could also be the source of your problem because as far as the game is concerned you haven't built anything because as far as I'm aware the game doesn't count structures built on alpha 06 I have had that happen to me on this level in the past as well.
I think this was the issue. I don't normally do it that way, but on this particular play-through, I built the structures on alpha 06. I'm aware this has been unreliable in the past. The bigger issue is the next time I tried it, on d4d0688, it also failed to complete, and that time around I built on Alpha 07. Here are the saves for that second time around. Start from the earliest save "Alpha 07.gam" and let me know if you can get the green dot to clear somehow. I've tried a few combinations of buildings in the base area and haven't succeeded.
Alpha 07.zip
Alpha 07 on d4d0688. Stage does not finish.
(910.6 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
Can anyone confirm what the victory conditions for this level are? Once I know the theory I can then test for that.

That said, should it be considered a bug that it doesn't count structures built on previous stages towards the victory condition?
Bethrezen wrote:
Alpha 08

Functionality change? Can now research Python heavy body on this stage - two stages earlier than originally designed... well, I believe anyway - I'm using the aforementioned walkthrough as a reference for what was (https://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?t=3051). I see this was discussed above, but I didn't really follow - what was the rationale?
Being able to research python body and compost alloy mk2 on alpha 08 is deliberate because you pick up the composite alloy artefact on alpha 8 but due to a required structure check it wouldn’t let you research that till alpha 09 even though it should of really because you have already built the tank factory.
I agree that sounds logical, but how was it in the original game? The reason I raised it is because it seemed a deviation from what I understood it to be.
Bethrezen wrote:In my opinion that check was faulty because it was only checking the current away map for the presence of the tank factory when it should have been checking your home map for the presence of the tank factory and had that check been looking at the home map for the presence of the tank factory you would never of been barred from researching the python body and compost alloy mk2 on alpha 08.
I agree that's an issue but removing the structure check altogether doesn't seem like the right fix to me. Shouldn't the check "simply" be expanded to include both the home and away maps? Also, in the original, it's a check on the presence of a cyborg factory, not a tank factory. Appreciate that doesn't seem entirely logical but this is mostly a philosophical one for me: is this faithfully recreating the original campaign or are we trying to make some sort of new derivative? That said, I don't have access to the pumpkin/eidos original so I only have docs, forum posts, etc. to go on when trying to work out how it used to work.
Bethrezen wrote:[edit]

Had a look at the saves you posted for alpha 08 but I'm not really clear on what the problem is besides the fact that you can research the composite alloy mk2 and python body on alpha 08, could you clarify a little ?
No issue, other than the underlying question about the objective: recreating the original campaign or making a (new) derivative?

My assumption was it's the former - hence taking the purist view - but I don't want to make assumptions, hence raising the question.
Bethrezen wrote:
Why? Is this to fix a specific problem or is it a matter of preference? Isn't this making it different to how the original campaign worked (or is trying to keep it the same not the objective)?
The required structure check was removed due to a bug.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12714&start=180#p137858
See comments above. I think I'm now researching technologies that previously weren't available until the next stage after a Cyborg factory had been built. Why change it? Seems arbitrary to me. How was it in the original game? Appreciate I'm new here, but my 2c worth is we should match that (or at least its intent, if it was somehow bugged).
As you see in my comments above viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12714&start=180#p137892
I saw that but I didn't really follow it the first time through. I think I've got it now though. As mentioned above I don't think this is the right fix though.
Bethrezen wrote:This is perhaps an unintended side effect of trying to fix the aforementioned bug.
I think so.
Bethrezen wrote:
Alpha 11

* Otherwise Fine :) Challenging level. I imagine it's tricky on insane level.
Not really Alpha 11 is in fact stupidly easy on insane, and until the victory condition was changed it was in fact possible to do this level in under 2 minutes even on insane.
Hmm. Maybe I don't understand the current victory conditions are now and am trying to do too much. What were they before and are they now?

That said, "challenging" is a relative term. I don't have any issue completing this level and usually do so in plenty of time (not < 2mins though!). I was more thinking in terms of how new players would find it.
Bethrezen wrote:Now alpha 12 that is a tricky mission on insane, although it has been substantially nurfed because it was way to hard, and while it was possible to complete it, it would take you like 3 or 4 hours, because it was like trying to fight against a force 5 tornado if you tried to go up the middle.
Alpha 12

* Are the power levels higher than they used to be? I swear I've never ended up on over 100k power by this stage before (that's without trying too - there's no need to have such a pile in the bank...).
That may well be bonus oil issue because if you finish the mission quickly you get given bonus oil that is equivalent to the amount of time left on the clock, so basically power wise you end up with the same amount of power as you would have if you waited till the timer runs down and then you complete the level with like 30 seconds left there is already a ticket for this you can see my comments on this issue here

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12714&p=137896&sid= ... 18#p137870
Yeah, I since worked that out. I didn't actually know there was a bonus oil feature until I read your post. There hasn't always been. Do you know when it was introduced? It certainly makes life easier not having to actually wait out the timers though. I usually complete most levels with ridiculous amounts of time to spare (well, on normal, anyway).
Bethrezen wrote:
On a more general note, I'm seeing an increased frequency of units getting stuck on corners (an issue I thought had somewhat gone away in recent versions). Where I spot them I'll include an additional screenshot and savegame in my zips in addition to the usual collection of saves.
Pathing issues is a problem that has plagued the game for a long time, and it has been a personal bugbear for me for ages, unfortunately its not something that is easy to fix so players just need to learn to live with it until such times as someone figures out how to deal with the problem.
I'm aware it's a longstanding one. I've seen some of your earlier comments on the subject too. I'm just raising it in the hope that if I can include specific examples with corresponding save games if anyone's looking into it they'll have some material to work with. I also felt it had gotten worse of late. Do you know if any changes have been made to the pathfinding recently and/or since 3.2.3?
-Philosopher-
Trained
Trained

Post by -Philosopher- »

Berserk Cyborg wrote:
-Philosopher- wrote: Alpha 08
* There are two spots on the map I'd expect to be able to build on but can't - for no obvious reason. See screenshots.
Most likely there is a bit of a slope on that position. Building stuff generally requires having mostly even or flat terrain under it.
Can you check that is indeed the case? It certainly doesn't look like a slope in that location and seems somewhere you should be able to build. I'll also check whether this "dead zone" was present in earlier versions and get back to you too.
Berserk Cyborg wrote:
-Philosopher- wrote: Alpha 12

* How often do the enemy transports come? Might be just my imagination, but they seem more frequent than they used to be. I'll replay the level and study it more closely next time however.
* LZ didn't close down - remove the four lancer towers and it should, right?
* Haven't actually completed this stage yet. I put it aside when I couldn't close the LZ down and probably won't pick it up again as it's such a slog without being able to stop the reinforcements. I'll wait to see what the response is first. I might try playing the alpha stages through from the start again (now there's a new master) instead. Will post back if I find anything new.
Power levels should be the same on normal difficulty for the player. However, the enemy power levels were boosted for almost all missions as we were finding they would run out of power sometimes even before half the mission time was used up. For Alpha 12, The transporter should come every 10 minutes on normal when activated. As for the LZ not closing, I bet it's because of a tank trap being too close to the area that counts how many structures are around the LZ. So I will fix that.
Copy that. Let me know when the fix is available.
Berserk Cyborg wrote:For Alpha 7 you only need to build four non-walls on the plateau, in addition to any you make on the previous level, and fend off eleven transport loads. Or we could include the structures already built from Alpha 6 as long as that does not interfere with the video sequence.
Hmm. Pretty sure I've built plenty more than that - at least on my second run through - see the savegame attached to my reply to @Bethrezen.

And yes, once that's working properly, it would also seem sensible to recognise if a base is already present (if possible with the video sequences, as you say), as long as that isn't materially interfering with the original intent of the campaign. I'm under the impression it may once have worked that way anyway (cf. https://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php ... =15#p29720)
Berserk Cyborg
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Berserk Cyborg »

The objective of this conversion is to mimic the original closely in the long run. Naturally, we can make small improvements here and there to make the whole campaign experience better. Right now we are simply making it so the campaign is at least playable in the 3.2 series.

My plan is:
1. Do initial conversions for each mission and fix bugs so as the campaign as a whole is reasonably stable. Small adjustments can be made if deemed necessary (fixing oddities and such that would otherwise confuse players). Not necessarily a mirror of the original in each and every aspect, but will allow it to be later without major intervention to mission scripts.
2. Mimic long lost features/group tactics to get as close the original as possible.

This way the campaign is stable enough to play without the constant bother of something breaking throughout the entire playthrough. Once that is done we can look deeper at each mission and see what is different and if anything should be brought back closer in regards to the original. One of the biggest differences you would spot is how smooth and and seamless group management is. It definitely noticeable even on the first mission when compared to the original.

There is a wiki that has some more information. May be outdated in some aspects but it is generally still helpful: http://developer.wz2100.net/wiki/jscam. As long as everything fits within the realms of the story (ie. Don't bring in a heavy pulse laser into Alpha campaign for the fun of it), then we should be fine.

TL;DR: Do not worry if everything is exactly the same as the original at the moment. Only time will allow this once more code is added and long lost features are brought back with better implementation.

Alpha 6:
Those saves brought the issue out clearly (6-10 and 6-11). I forgot to account for shared base cleanup areas which could lead to odd behavior. As implied, not everything in the cleanup zone belongs to any one player. Simple fix, deadly bug. Loading a save executes a few workarounds and one of them is checking all bases should have been eliminated (hence why that one completes immediately). This whole shared base cleanup is exclusive to only a very few missions and that is why it stayed hidden for so long.

Alpha 7:
So far I have accounted for if there is already four non-wall structures instead of having to build four more at the start of the mission.

@-Philosopher- It appears that the two saves that do not work only had three transporters land in units. Do you remember if you saved rather early into the mission or shortly after one exited the map and later reloaded? I also find it odd that the transporter kept dropping off on the same location repeatedly since it should change every time.

Fixed the enemy LZ structure check for Alpha 12 to not include counting the tank traps.
cybersphinx
Inactive
Inactive

Post by cybersphinx »

-Philosopher- wrote:
Bethrezen wrote:
Alpha 01

* Timer limited to 60 mins. Previous versions had no time limit on this stage. Is the change intended? I don't have any issue with this - 60mins is plenty - but just wanted to check this wasn't an unintentional change.
To the best of my knowledge this is intentional because people where exploiting the fact there was no timer to get absurd amounts of power by leaving the game running.
In a single player person vs. computer game what does it matter? If someone's prepared to spend ages waiting for the power to tick up for no real benefit (all they'll achieve is overkill, and - I've just learnt about this - with power bonuses for finishing early, nothing they couldn't achieve by just finishing anyway) why not let them do it?
IIRC the intent was to change it from punishing you with less resources for finishing quickly to rewarding you instead.
We want information... information... information.
-Philosopher-
Trained
Trained

Post by -Philosopher- »

cybersphinx wrote:
-Philosopher- wrote:
Bethrezen wrote:
Alpha 01

IIRC the intent was to change it from punishing you with less resources for finishing quickly to rewarding you instead.
Are you referring to the power bonus for finishing early? I was referring to the timer itself, but I guess the power bonus can't work without it. Regarding the bonus, I think it achieves that objective - it's great. My only regret is not realising it had been introduced somewhere along the line. Do you recall what version was it brought in with?
-Philosopher-
Trained
Trained

Post by -Philosopher- »

Berserk Cyborg wrote:The objective of this conversion is to mimic the original closely in the long run. Naturally, we can make small improvements here and there to make the whole campaign experience better. Right now we are simply making it so the campaign is at least playable in the 3.2 series.

My plan is:
1. Do initial conversions for each mission and fix bugs so as the campaign as a whole is reasonably stable. Small adjustments can be made if deemed necessary (fixing oddities and such that would otherwise confuse players). Not necessarily a mirror of the original in each and every aspect, but will allow it to be later without major intervention to mission scripts.
2. Mimic long lost features/group tactics to get as close the original as possible.

This way the campaign is stable enough to play without the constant bother of something breaking throughout the entire playthrough. Once that is done we can look deeper at each mission and see what is different and if anything should be brought back closer in regards to the original.
Sounds good/makes sense. I'll continue to note possible deviations from the original when I spot them FYI, but I agree with the priorities. Fixing broken things clearly comes first.

I wasn't deeply concerned about the changes; more just checking that reflecting the original campaign was still the intent (confirmed - good to know).
Berserk Cyborg wrote:One of the biggest differences you would spot is how smooth and seamless group management is. It definitely noticeable even on the first mission when compared to the original.
Actually... not sure if I've spotted differences or not. What are you referring to by 'group management'? Sorry - not familiar with the terminology. Could you give me a specific example? If I know what I'm looking out for I'm sure I'll see what you mean.
Berserk Cyborg wrote:There is a wiki that has some more information. May be outdated in some aspects but it is generally still helpful: http://developer.wz2100.net/wiki/jscam. As long as everything fits within the realms of the story (ie. Don't bring in a heavy pulse laser into Alpha campaign for the fun of it), then we should be fine.
Thanks for the link. Good context.
Berserk Cyborg wrote:TL;DR: Do not worry if everything is exactly the same as the original at the moment. Only time will allow this once more code is added and long lost features are brought back with better implementation.

Alpha 6:
Those saves brought the issue out clearly (6-10 and 6-11). I forgot to account for shared base cleanup areas which could lead to odd behavior. As implied, not everything in the cleanup zone belongs to any one player. Simple fix, deadly bug. Loading a save executes a few workarounds and one of them is checking all bases should have been eliminated (hence why that one completes immediately). This whole shared base cleanup is exclusive to only a very few missions and that is why it stayed hidden for so long.
NP. Glad to have helped clear it up.
Berserk Cyborg wrote:Alpha 7:
So far I have accounted for if there is already four non-wall structures instead of having to build four more at the start of the mission.
As in if a base is already pre-built, e.g. on the previous stage? OK.
Berserk Cyborg wrote:@-Philosopher- It appears that the two saves that do not work only had three transporters land in units. Do you remember if you saved rather early into the mission or shortly after one exited the map and later reloaded? I also find it odd that the transporter kept dropping off on the same location repeatedly since it should change every time.
Hmm. That wasn't my experience of the stages. There were transporters coming in at regular intervals right up until the clock ran out at 30mins and the stage failed (I played it through to the end both times). Certainly many more than three. Is there a counter - and it's somehow off?

The saves labelled (just) Alpha 07 are right at the start of the mission, but I don't remember doing any reloading. There's not usually any need. I guess it's possible I did, but I don't think so.

Agree the enemy transporter getting transfixed on a single drop location is odd. On my first playthrough of Alpha 07, on 7515753, the enemy transporters went for locations scattered around the map just as they should (in fact better than I ever remember it working on previous versions), but now you mention it, I haven't seen it work that way since. Is it possible some issue got introduced with d4d9688?
Berserk Cyborg wrote:Fixed the enemy LZ structure check for Alpha 12 to not include counting the tank traps.
I'll look out for the new master (?)
Bethrezen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bethrezen »

Ah... good times eh? It was impressive, seeing a mass of units with near infinite reinforcements at all times.
Indeed, if that was a skirmish game you didn’t have to worry about time limits, and you where able to build factories instead of having to fly troops in that could in fact be a pretty fun challenge.
in a single player person vs. computer game what does it matter? If someone's prepared to spend ages waiting for the power to tick up for no real benefit (all they'll achieve is overkill, and - I've just learnt about this - with power bonuses for finishing early, nothing they couldn't achieve by just finishing anyway) why not let them do it?
It's one those balance things, because if you end up with absurd levels of power then that means that you end up being able to do things that where never intended which tends to brake the game, plus with the whole bonus power thing doing so is now unnecessary,
See comments above, plus, in this case, I think the change has introduced a new problem. I, personally, had no challenge with the shorter timer but as mentioned I've played this level several times. As one of the early levels (presumably) intended to ease new players into the game it seems too short now.
Ok let me see if I can explain this in a way you can understand, one of the victory conditions for completing alpha 03 is to build a power generator, if you try to end alpha 03 without building a power generator then you get the vid sequence telling you that you need to build the power generator and you get the 15 minute timer, that timer isn’t the timer to complete alpha 04 it’s the timer to build a power generator, once you build the power generator alpha 03 ends and alpha 4 begins as normal.

I know its weird design and I have been caught out by that one as well, having said that even if all your builders where over the other side of the map its not going to take them 15 minutes to drive back to where your power stations are located and build a power generator.

really that section of the game needs to be redesigned, and instead of getting the end mission screen for alpha 03 and then getting a 15 minute window to build the power generator what should probably happen is that alpha 03 simply refuses to end you get the vid telling you that you need to build the generator and then the timer for alpha 03 continues to ticking, that i think would make more sense since building a power generator is one of the stated objectives for alpha 3 as seen in the mission briefing video at the start of alpha 03.
I've reproduced it on another playthrough - see attached. I think the issue is the Scav component of the central plateau base is not being cleared correctly.

You do realise that when you are posting saves you don’t need to post your whole save folder that just makes it difficult to know which save actually contains the error that you are describing.

If you have an issue only post the save that contains the issue.
I agree that sounds logical, but how was it in the original game? The reason I raised it is because it seemed a deviation from what I understood it to be.
To be honest I'm not really sure it's been a long time since I played the original there is a copy of the original game that someone compiled from the original source posted here on the forum somewhere but can't remember where, I did try to find it but wasn’t able to.
I agree that's an issue but removing the structure check altogether doesn't seem like the right fix to me. Shouldn't the check "simply" be expanded to include both the home and away maps?
Well if you read my comments with regards to the cyborg factory you will see I make that very point my self that really what is needed is a smarter check one that checks the home map for the required structure such that if the required structure doesn't exist on the home map it wont let you access the research but if the required structure is present then you will be able to access the associated research regardless of whither you are on the home map or not.
Also, in the original, it's a check on the presence of a cyborg factory, not a tank factory.
I know but those comments where aimed specifically at the python body and composite ally stuff on alpha 08, and the requirement to have build the tank factory.

However the same situation also applies to the cyborg factory and the associated research.

In case it's not already clear let me clarify.

On alpha 08 you collect the composite ally artefact but it wont let you research composite alloy mk2 and the python body on alpha 08 because those research projects require the presence of the tank factory due to the required structure check and since alpha 08 is an away mission and you cant build a tank factories on away missions then you are incorrectly prevented for accessing the associated research even though technically you meet the require structure requirement because you have already built the tank factory, hence why I recon that check is faulty.

The same situation applies to the cyborg factory and its associated research if you build a cyborg factory then take off for an away mission and then try to do cyborg research you wont be able to even though you should because you have built the cyborg factory.

The reason for this issue in both cases is the required structure check which only checks the current away map instead of your home map for the presence of the required structure.

So the quick and dirty solution is to remove the required structure check this solves the problem of not being able to do the associated research on an away mission however it also has some unintended sides effects in that you can do the cyborg research even if you haven't built a cyborg factory which is clearly not correct, hence my comments about what is probably need is a smarter required structure check.

Now given that you would be able to build a cyborg factory and do the research on alpha 10 anyway getting it a little earlier on alpha 09 is a minor detail in the grand scheme of things, really what is need is for this to be addressed properly, as I already alluded to in my previous comments, having said that doing so may or may not be difficult, time consuming, complicated and if it's going to prove to be to difficult, time consuming and complicated to address then maybe its better to just leave things as they are now because there are more important issues that need to be addressed right now

Now from a purely purist perspective like you I don’t think the campaign should be changed in radical ways I don’t not however have a problem with ironing out issues caused by poorly though out design choices, so long as those changes are not detrimental to the game as a whole, and I can't say I've seen anything in any of the changes that I would consider to be detrimental.
Hmm. Maybe I don't understand the current victory conditions are now and am trying to do too much. What were they before and are they now?

That said, "challenging" is a relative term. I don't have any issue completing this level and usually do so in plenty of time (not < 2mins though!). I was more thinking in terms of how new players would find it.
The previous victory conditions was to recover the artefact and return to your LZ which meant that this mission could be done in under 2 minutes because all you would have to do is drive down in to the canyon where the artefact is located blow up 4 or 5 new paradigm units and then return to your landing zone with the artefact and the mission would end which is way way way to easy even on insane.

So the victory condition was changed now I believe you have to collect the artefact and destroy all the enemy units although Berserk Cyborg would need to confirm that one, doing this ensures that you can't just finish the mission in under 2 minutes

Yeah, I since worked that out. I didn't actually know there was a bonus oil feature until I read your post. There hasn't always been. Do you know when it was introduced?
Not sure when it was introduced some where in the 3x branch I think I do know that it’s a fairly recent thing.
It certainly makes life easier not having to actually wait out the timers though. I usually complete most levels with ridiculous amounts of time to spare (well, on normal, anyway).
Indeed and if I have understood the stated purpose that was precisely the point.

Although clearly there are still some adjustments needed the problem though as I already alluded to in my comments regarding this is that getting this right is not a simple thing because at some point players are going to end up with to much resources and there isn’t really anything you can do about it without completely changing the way the whole resources system in warzone, you can try and you can make improvements sure but I don’t think you will ever really make the issue go away not while the current resource system remains in place.

Now if you look at say Dawn of War they have a similar resource system and there solution is to have resource points decay over a period of time thus delivering less resources the problem there though is that something like this probably wouldn’t work very well in Warzone due to the fact that warzone is a fundamentally different game.
I'm aware it's a longstanding one. I've seen some of your earlier comments on the subject too. I'm just raising it in the hope that if I can include specific examples with corresponding save games if anyone's looking into it they'll have some material to work with. I also felt it had gotten worse of late. Do you know if any changes have been made to the pathfinding recently and/or since 3.2.3?
Not so far as I'm aware but there is a lot of stuff that goes on in the back ground that you will never hear about on the forum you can however check the various commits

https://github.com/Warzone2100/warzone2 ... its/master which gives a more detailed list of various changes that are being made at any given time

This thread is more about helping get the campaign converted to JavaScript and to find and fix issues within the campaign that result from that conversion Alpha is for the most part pretty stable now and I think the vast majority of bugs have already been fixed save for a couple of the more obscure ones or ones like pathing that are simply difficult to address.

Beta and Gamma however are a different story while those have already been converted they haven't been extensively tested yet because my self and Alfred have been concentrating are efforts on Alpha I figured the most sensible approach is to fix one campaign at a time, one mission at a time if you jump around to much then that's how issues get missed and mistake get made.
Bethrezen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bethrezen »

Alpha 7:

@-Philosopher- It appears that the two saves that do not work only had three transporters land in units. Do you remember if you saved rather early into the mission or shortly after one exited the map and later reloaded? I also find it odd that the transporter kept dropping off on the same location repeatedly since it should change every time.
It could be because he is blocking the landing zones, because I have noticed on alpha 07 that its possible to block the enemy landing zones and force the enemy transports to land where I want them to.

So normally I'll place a group of units to the east and west to block those landing areas forcing the new paradigm to land to the north doing that makes the level much more straightforward, the problem though is that its possible to block all the landing zones and if you do that then you aren't going to be able to compete the mission, since you wont be able to meet the requirement of destroying 11 drop ships full of troops since no transports will come.

you can see the effect in my alpha 07 save you don't actuality have to do anything except sit there and wait because the computer will always land to the north and get pounded by my artillery units.

I supposed what I'm doing on alpha 07 could be construed as an exploit but in my opinion its a perfectly fair and valid tactic.
Attachments
Alpah 07.7z
(57.21 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
alfred007
Regular
Regular

Post by alfred007 »

First: Welcome to the testing team Philosopher

This testing is to become a bug-free (if it's possible) converted Warzone as near as possible at the original. Sometimes for good reasons there are some changes to the original (i.e timer at alpha 1, power bonus) when we think the changes are making more sense than the original. Some changes like the research of composite alloy mk2 and python body in alpha 8 instead of alpha 9 or cyborg research depends on thinkings about logic behavior or about issues in insane difficulty, because in insane you have just 2/3 of the time you have in normal. If you have any ideas about balancing don't hesitate to post it here. There is no wrong or right, everything can be said, we discuss it and at the end it's the decission of Beserk Cyborg what to implement and what not. If you read the old posts you will see that Bethrezen and I have different opinions about the settings in insane difficulty and sometimes Berserk Cyborg implements my ideas, sometimes Bethrezens. And that's ok for us all. So if you think you are exprienced enough please play the game on insane difficulty because we need more input for balancing.
Bethrezen wrote:Ok let me see if I can explain this in a way you can understand, one of the victory conditions for completing alpha 03 is to build a power generator, if you try to end alpha 03 without building a power generator then you get the vid sequence telling you that you need to build the power generator and you get the 15 minute timer, that timer isn’t the timer to complete alpha 04 it’s the timer to build a power generator, once you build the power generator alpha 03 ends and alpha 4 begins as normal.
That's not completely right. In the old setting alpha 3 was a two part mission. First part building the power module, second part the first away mission to catch the heavy mg artifact. The timer starts now immediately because with the splitting in two parts the player had the choice to milk the mission afk to endless energy and that's like cheating. Now alpha 3 is to build the power module and catch the heavy mg artifact in the away part within 15 minutes. So you have to get prepared during alpha 2 for alpha 3 by placing trucks around your power factories and having your combat squad for alpha 3 ready at your home base. Alpha 4 was and still is the away mission where you catch the mortar and the half-tracked artifact.

Bethrezen wrote:So the victory condition was changed now I believe you have to collect the artefact and destroy all the enemy units although Berserk Cyborg would need to confirm that one, doing this ensures that you can't just finish the mission in under 2 minutes
First the victory condition was catching the artifact and get back to LZ. That was when you can finish the mission in under 2 minutes. Then Berserk Cyborg changed it to catching the artifact and destroy everything of the NP. After my intervention the winning conditions are now catching the artifact, destroy all troops of the NP and get back to LZ or total annihilation of NP and Scavs, of course still after catching the artifact.
alfred007
Regular
Regular

Post by alfred007 »

Berserk Cyborg wrote: Alpha 7:
I took a look into the code and found in line 22
if (camCountStructuresInArea("buildArea") >= initialStructures + 4)

I understand it that way, that you have to build 4 new structures during alpha 7 for completing the mission, together with minimum 11 transports landing.
alfred007
Regular
Regular

Post by alfred007 »

Alpha 7:

Bethrezen wrote:It could be because he is blocking the landing zones, because I have noticed on alpha 07 that its possible to block the enemy landing zones and force the enemy transports to land where I want them to.
That's right, it's because of the blocked LZ's. And it could be a problem in alpha 10, because he also has a lot of structures in the LZ's for alpha 10. I'm not sure, but I understand the code of alpha 10 that way, that he have to destroy all NP troops after 15 transports. And when the LZ's are blocked because of that structures the NP maybe sends less than 15 transports and the mission is impossible to win.

And if you want to have a look into the code go here https://github.com/Warzone2100/warzone2 ... t/campaign and chose the level you want to see. That are all to javascript converted level.

Even if you have no programming knowledge like me you are still able to have a look to winning conditions, timers, factory throttles and so on.
Berserk Cyborg
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Berserk Cyborg »

I would welcome any ideas about what to do in those situations where the enemy LZ is blocked. I thought we already have the various LZ's blocked, but maybe the area is too small.

The great thing about the JavaScript missions is how simple they are to understand. Even someone without any programming experience will understand the underlying logic. Unlike the WZScript missions (data/text folders in here) where it is like solving a puzzle (that and never trust the comments. Ever.).

Anyway pushed master 01b4e298456400cc7c8c6b137e282fae531556ea which should come out in a half hour or so on build bot.
alfred007
Regular
Regular

Post by alfred007 »

Bethrezen wrote: Something else you would need to consider however is can other players actually complete alpha 08 within 20 to 30 minutes? which would leave you about 10 to 20 minutes to actually recycle and upgrade your units, now while i can other players may not be able to, I guess though the only way to answer that one would be to get some feed back from less experienced players.
I tested alpha 8 with master d4d0688 and had more than 19 minutes left after researching python body. I think you can completely cut the extra time for alpha 9 on insane. A player that is experienced enough to play on insane, should be able to complete alpha 8 with 10 minutes left and in that 10 minutes you can produce 17 of the heaviest units you can make in every factory. And if the bug about the vanishing units is fixed he also have the time during alpha 9 to get prepared for alpha 10.
Twister22
Trained
Trained

Post by Twister22 »

I saw The CO seems to be moving slightly closer
I caught the collectives bombards slightly moving towards my units
I caught the collectives bombards slightly moving towards my units
collectives_units_caught_slightly_moving.png (45.79 KiB) Viewed 5706 times
Attachments
Collective_Glitch.zip
I made a save game proof for it ;)
(80.69 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
Last edited by Twister22 on 16 Sep 2017, 19:34, edited 2 times in total.
WZ2120&Nukemod Duo
http://forums.wz2100.net/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=13527
donate the project!
http://donations.wz2100.net/