Help needed testing 3.2.x Campaign games!

Discuss the future of Warzone 2100 with us.
alfred007
Regular
Regular

Re: Help needed testing 3.2.x Campaign games!

Post by alfred007 »

I updated to master 4a24e8e and tested beta 4 and 5 again. No problems during gameplay, some error messages in the logs of beta 5, but without any noticeable influence on gameplay.
Bethrezen wrote:Now since the group code doesn't play nice with that tracked unit here is what I'm thinking

1.) change the heavy cannon mantis tracks to heavy cannon mantis half tracks
2.) change the bug lancer half tracks to scorpion lancer half tracks
3.) change the medium cannon scorpion half tracks to medium cannon mantis half tracks
4.) and add third scorpion lancer half track.
I think that would't solve the problem. I rebuild this units in the unit design menu and a heavy cannon decreased the unit speed by minimum 20%. That means every unit with a heavy cannon is noticeable slower than any other. I agree, that all units should have the same propulsion with half tracks, but either without heavy cannons or all with heavy cannons. In contrast to my first idea I posted I suggest we should take three mantis half tracked medium cannons and three mantis half tracked lancers or to make it more difficult six mantis half tracked lancers. And I agree that 1:30 depending on difficulty is a good time delay.
Attachments
logs beta 4+5.zip
(160.53 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
Bethrezen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bethrezen »

I think that would't solve the problem. I rebuild this units in the unit design menu and a heavy cannon decreased the unit speed by minimum 20%.
just had a look at that in the unit creator and you might be right about that one because where medium cannons had a speed of around 1.00 the heavy cannon only has a speed about half that at around 0.5 so yeah that heavy cannon would need to be changed to a medium cannon or you would very likely end up with the same problem i missed that one ok so how about this

1.) change the heavy cannon mantis tracks to medium cannon mantis half tracks
2.) change the bug lancer half tracks to mantis lancer half tracks
3.) change the medium cannon scorpion half tracks to medium cannon mantis half tracks
4.) and add third mantis lancer half track.

that i think should balance things out and keep everyone moving at about the same speed
to make it more difficult six mantis half tracked lancers. And I agree that 1:30 depending on difficulty is a good time delay.
humm... to be honest I'm weary of changing things to much with this set up it addresses the movement issue but keeps the composition of the team similar to the original while at the same time taking account of the fact that the player is likely to attack with 10 heavy body units and therefore makes the whole team tougher as a whole by upgrading them to heavy bodies, having said that its certainly something worth experimenting with.
alfred007
Regular
Regular

Post by alfred007 »

Bethrezen wrote:
I think that would't solve the problem. I rebuild this units in the unit design menu and a heavy cannon decreased the unit speed by minimum 20%.
just had a look at that in the unit creator and you might be right about that one because where medium cannons had a speed of around 1.00 the heavy cannon only has a speed about half that at around 0.5 so yeah that heavy cannon would need to be changed to a medium cannon or you would very likely end up with the same problem i missed that one ok so how about this

1.) change the heavy cannon mantis tracks to medium cannon mantis half tracks
2.) change the bug lancer half tracks to mantis lancer half tracks
4.) and add third mantis lancer half track.

that i think should balance things out and keep everyone moving at about the same speed
to make it more difficult six mantis half tracked lancers. And I agree that 1:30 depending on difficulty is a good time delay.
humm... to be honest I'm weary of changing things to much with this set up it addresses the movement issue but keeps the composition of the team similar to the original while at the same time taking account of the fact that the player is likely to attack with 10 heavy body units and therefore makes the whole team tougher as a whole by upgrading them to heavy bodies, having said that its certainly something worth experimenting with.
I'm fine with that. If you want to be as close as possible to the original it's ok for me. It is just an idea for a discussion, because even with your changes this group would be no real competition for 10 heavy body units.
Bethrezen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bethrezen »

I'm fine with that. If you want to be as close as possible to the original it's ok for me. It is just an idea for a discussion, because even with your changes this group would be no real competition for 10 heavy body units.
indeed, having said that, if a band of bad guys where planing a hit then typically the bad guys would be looking at what security there respective target had and then planing accordingly, so it's actually pretty realistic for the convoy be out manned and out gunned by the player, besides there is no guarantee that the players is actually going to be using 10 heavy body combat units i don't typically I'll start alpha 11 with 8 heavy body half track lancers, 1 heavy body half track commander and 1 truck, but again its always possible to add another couple of units if things still prove to easy.

Alpha 06

Ok so I updated to
warzone2100-master-20171025-003850-1b60377.exe (24-Oct-2017)

Started playing through alpha again to check out the changes with the power levels and I'm of the opinion that the power production for insane is now to low, while i was able to play through alpha 1 to 5 without any significant issues when you hit the end of alpha 05 start of alpha 06 you run into problems with insufficient power.

see at the end of alpha 5 you have a lot of research to do and then at the start of alpha 06 you will very likely be upgrading all your units to medium bodies and upgrading your factories and currently i don't have sufficient power to do that.

This first screen shot is what i would normally have power wise after completing all the research at the end of alpha 05 on hard on v1.10

this next screen shot is what i have at the end of Alpha 05 on insane on the current master, as you will see i only have half as much, which is not sufficient for me to upgrade my units and factories at the start of alpha 06.

while i do agree that the power bonuses for completing the missions quickly where to high particularly on the easier difficulty settings now things have now swung to the opposite end of the spectrum which is just as bad if not worse then having to much power, so i think the speed at which the players oil well produces power needs to come back up a bit.

As for the power bonus for completing missions quickly that was never really a problem on insane since all the timers have been reduced, and as a consequence its unlikely players would actually be finishing missions with more than about 5 minutes on the clock on insane anyway so most missions i wouldn't actual see the extreme power bonuses that others have reported.

where this problem was more common was on the easier difficulty levels because it was possible to finish missions with like 60 minuets left on the clock and then end up with extreme power bonus.

What i think needs to happen here is that the power bonuses for completing missions quickly on the easer difficulty settings need to come down, to curtail the huge power glut that has already been reported, which is most prevalent on the easier difficulty settings, while the rate at which oil wells actually produce power should remain the same, for hard an insane the rate at which power well produce power needs to come back up but the bonus for completing missions quickly should stay as it is.
Bethrezen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bethrezen »

As a side note i was just poking round inside the rules.js file and I'm curious i take it that

Code: Select all

setPowerModifier(100)
means set the rate at which oil wells produce power to 100% or it's normal unmodified rate? if that is the case then wouldn't it be better to do it like this

// the default rate at which oil derricks produce power.
var production_rate = 100; 

function modify_production_rate()
{
    if (difficulty === EASY)
    {
        // increase power production rate by 50%
        var production_rate  = production_rate + 50;
    }

else if (difficulty === HARD)
    {
        // decrease power production rate by 35%
        var production_rate  = production_rate - 35;
    }

else if (difficulty === INSANE)
    {
        // decrease power production rate by 50%
        var production_rate  = production_rate - 50;
    }
}
I know that is perhaps a slightly verbose way of doing this but from a logic stand point it's easier understand what's happening when you do it this way because you you are starting with your base value of 100% and then either adding on to it or subtracting from it which in turn either speeds up or slows down the rate at which oil wells produce power.
Berserk Cyborg
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Berserk Cyborg »

alfred007 wrote:I updated to master 4a24e8e and tested beta 4 and 5 again. No problems during gameplay, some error messages in the logs of beta 5, but without any noticeable influence on gameplay.
Hmm... odd. Looks like a truck template is being passed to a VTOL factory.

error   |11:39:45: [validTemplateForFactory:5621] Can only build vtol in vtol factory, not in VTOL-Fabrik.
error   |11:39:45: [js_buildDroid:1921] Invalid template VTOL-Fabrik 4679 Body6SUPP tracked01 Spade1Mk1 for factory VTOL-Fabrik
error   |11:39:45: [callFunction:209] 0 : __camBuildDroid(template = [object Object], structure = [object Object]) at script/campaign/libcampaign.js:2172
error   |11:39:45: [callFunction:209] 1 : __camContinueProduction(structure = 'COVtolFacLeft-Prop') at script/campaign/libcampaign.js:2240
error   |11:39:45: [callFunction:209] 2 : <global>() at -1
info    |11:39:45: [callFunction:212] Uncaught exception calling function "__camContinueProduction" at line 2172: ReferenceError: validTemplateForFactory(psTemplate, psStruct, true) failed in js_buildDroid at line 1921
For power I have opted to reduce the mission bonus time to half on Easy and Normal. That should help limit massive power gain when completing missions. I also increased the power modifier to be 60% for Insane and 75% on Hard.

I will see what I can do for a new group composition with Alpha 11 now. I will need to move the northern scavenger cannon towers/features a tile or so because grouped units do get stuck (it happens in WZScript version sometimes).
Updated-Campaign.wz
Bethrezen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bethrezen »

For some reason every time i try to reload when using a mod i get the error
popup |07:46:07: [rebuildSearchPath:446] The required mod could not be loaded: Updated-Campaign.wz Warzone will try to load the game without it.
That pop-up then minimizes the game and causes it to crash due to this bug GRRRR......
error |07:46:10: [khr_callback:139] GL::API(Performance:Medium) : Program/shader state performance warning: Fragment Shader is going to be recompiled because the shader key based on GL state mismatches.
error |07:46:11: [TopLevelExceptionFilter:1320] Exception handler failed to create file!
Is there some way to force the game to load the mod from a save so that the game doesn't keep crashing on me when every time i need to reload?

Of course the ideal solution would be to figure out why the game crashes when i alt tab to the desktop in the first place.

here is the crash dump in case any one is interested

-------------------

Error occurred on Saturday, October 28, 2017 at 19:46:10.

Program: C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Desktop\Warzone 2100_portable-master\warzone2100_portable.exe(warzone2100)
Command line: "C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Desktop\Warzone 2100_portable-master\warzone2100_portable.exe" "--mod_ca=Updated-Campaign.wz" 
Version: Version: master 4a24e8e, Built:Oct 26 2017
Distributor: buildbot
Compiled on: Oct 26 2017 17:13:21
Compiled by: GCC 4.9.3
Compiled mode: Release build
Executed on: Sat Oct 28 19:27:28 2017

Pointers: 32bit

Compiled against PhysicsFS version: 2.0.3
Running with PhysicsFS version: 2.0.3

Misc Data:
[19:27:28]Video Mode 800 x 600 (fullscreen)
[19:27:28]OpenGL Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
[19:27:28]OpenGL Renderer: GeForce 9500 GT/PCIe/SSE2
[19:27:28]OpenGL Version: 3.3.0
[19:27:28]GLEW Version: 1.12.0
[19:27:28]OpenGL GLSL Version : 3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler
[19:27:28]OpenAL Device Name: OpenAL Soft
[19:27:28]OpenAL Vendor: OpenAL Community
[19:27:28]OpenAL Version: 1.1 ALSOFT 1.16.0
[19:27:28]OpenAL Renderer: OpenAL Soft
[19:27:28]OpenAL Extensions: AL_EXT_ALAW AL_EXT_DOUBLE AL_EXT_EXPONENT_DISTANCE AL_EXT_FLOAT32 AL_EXT_IMA4 AL_EXT_LINEAR_DISTANCE AL_EXT_MCFORMATS AL_EXT_MULAW AL_EXT_MULAW_MCFORMATS AL_EXT_OFFSET AL_EXT_source_distance_model AL_LOKI_quadriphonic AL_SOFT_block_alignment AL_SOFT_buffer_samples AL_SOFT_buffer_sub_data AL_SOFT_deferred_updates AL_SOFT_direct_channels AL_SOFT_loop_points AL_SOFT_MSADPCM AL_SOFT_source_latency AL_SOFT_source_length
[19:27:28]Using Backend: SDL
[19:27:28]Using language: System locale
[19:27:34]mod: Updated-Campaign.wz
[19:27:37]Current Level/map is CAM_1A
[19:46:10]mod: Updated-Campaign.wz

C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Desktop\Warzone 2100_portable-master\warzone2100_portable.exe caused an Access Violation at location 00020092 Writing to location 00000000.

Log message: info    |07:27:28: [realmain:973] mod_ca (Updated-Campaign.wz) is enabled
Log message: popup   |07:46:07: [rebuildSearchPath:446] The required mod could not be loaded: Updated-Campaign.wz

Warzone will try to load the game without it.
Log message: error   |07:46:10: [khr_callback:139] GL::API(Performance:Medium) : Program/shader state performance warning: Fragment Shader is going to be recompiled because the shader key based on GL state mismatches.

Registers:
eax=00000000 ebx=00008250 ecx=00000003 edx=00000021 esi=00000648 edi=00008246
eip=00020092 esp=0023a4ac ebp=6a9cca98 iopl=0         nv up ei pl nz na pe nc
cs=001b  ss=0023  ds=0023  es=0023  fs=003b  gs=0000             efl=00010202

Call stack:
746E656D
alfred007
Regular
Regular

Post by alfred007 »

function camNextLevel(nextLevel)
{
	if (__camNeedBonusTime)
	{
		var bonusTime = getMissionTime();
		if (difficulty === EASY || difficulty === MEDIUM)
		{
			bonusTime = Math.floor(bonusTime * 0.5);
		}
		if (bonusTime > 0)
		{
			var bonus = 110;
			if (difficulty === HARD)
				bonus = 105;
				bonus = 100;

camTrace("Bonus time", bonusTime);
			setPowerModifier(bonus); // Bonus percentage for completing fast
			extraPowerTime(bonusTime);
			setPowerModifier(100);
I'm a little bit confused. Afaik we have the difficulties easy, normal, hard and insane. What is difficulty medium?
NoQ
Special
Special

Post by NoQ »

According to scripting documentation, normal is called MEDIUM in scripts. Dunno why, it's easy to add an alias.
alfred007
Regular
Regular

Post by alfred007 »

NoQ wrote:According to scripting documentation, normal is called MEDIUM in scripts. Dunno why, it's easy to add an alias.
Thank you for the information.
alfred007
Regular
Regular

Post by alfred007 »

Berserk Cyborg wrote:For power I have opted to reduce the mission bonus time to half on Easy and Normal.

{
	if (__camNeedBonusTime)
	{
		var bonusTime = getMissionTime();
		{
		}
		if (bonusTime > 0)
		{
			var bonus = 110;
			if (difficulty === HARD)
				bonus = 105;
				bonus = 100;

camTrace("Bonus time", bonusTime);
			setPowerModifier(bonus); // Bonus percentage for completing fast
			extraPowerTime(bonusTime);
			setPowerModifier(100);
If I understand that right the changes means that you give an bonus of 10 percent for half the bonus time. That means for me it is the same as giving a bonus of 5 percent for full bonus time. If this calculation is correct you give the player the same bonus at easy, medium (=normal) and hard (bonus 105 coded). That makes no sense in my eyes. If my calculation is correct you should either decrease the bonus for hard (for example to 102.5) or increase the bonusTime for easy and medium (for example bonusTime * 0.75). And due to the discussion that the bonus for easy and normal is too high I prefer to decrease the hard bonus.
Bethrezen
Regular
Regular

Post by Bethrezen »

If I understand that right the changes means that you give an bonus of 10 percent for half the bonus time. That means for me it is the same as giving a bonus of 5 percent for full bonus time.
Admittedly my knowledge of JavaScript is pretty rudimentary so I might be wrong, but if I'm understanding this correctly, what this says

{
}
is get the remaining time and round it down to the nearest whole number, then multiply that number by 0.5 which is equivalent to doing

60 minutes / 100 x 50% = 30

Which means that for easy and medium the bonus would be 130 if you completed the mission with 60 minutes left on the clock.

Although personally I'm not a big fan of the way this whole function is actually written and I'm of the opinion that it could be rewritten to do the same thing but in a more clear manor so when someone like you or me is looking at it we can see at a glance what is actually happening, perhaps something like this would work.

{
    if (__camNeedBonusTime)
    {
        var time_remaining = getMissionTime();

if(difficulty === EASY || difficulty === MEDIUM)
        {
            bonus = Math.floor(time_remaining * 0.5); //50% bonus
        }

if(difficulty === HARD)
        {
            bonus = Math.floor(time_remaining * 0.25); //25% bonus
        }

if(difficulty === INSANE)
        {
            bonus = Math.floor(time_remaining * 0.1); //10% bonus
        }

if (bonusTime > 0)
        {
           setPowerModifier(production_rate + bonus);
        }
    }
    loadLevel(nextLevel);
}
because at a glance you can see exactly how this is supposed to work get the remaining time calculate a percentage of that time so say 50% for easy and normal and then add that on to the normal production rate for the given difficulty so

production_rate = 125% easy
production_rate = 100% normal
production_rate = 75% hard
production_rate = 60% insane

Functionally it does the same thing but from a logic standpoint doing it this way makes it easier for people to understand.
alfred007
Regular
Regular

Post by alfred007 »

Tested beta 6 with latest master and mod. No problems during gameplay. But again I failed to reload a saved game with enabled mod. I had to close the game and start it again to play on with mod.
Attachments
logs beta 6.zip
(392.15 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
alfred007
Regular
Regular

Post by alfred007 »

@Berserk Cyborg
Just for fun I worked at the labels.json files and tried to make a mod with assemblies for enemy factories till the end of beta mission but I failed. Neither with an old save nor with a new started beta campaign the produced enemy units used the new rally points. Maybe you can have a look at it what's wrong. I add my not working mod and the logs of the new started beta campaign. I stopped at beta 3, when the rally points of the middle base didn't work.
And I made the labels.json files look a bit more clear arranged.
Attachments
Updated-Assembly.wz
(533.41 KiB) Downloaded 109 times
logs.zip
(5.48 KiB) Downloaded 103 times
Berserk Cyborg
Code contributor
Code contributor

Post by Berserk Cyborg »

alfred007 wrote:@Berserk Cyborg
Just for fun I worked at the labels.json files and tried to make a mod with assemblies for enemy factories till the end of beta mission but I failed. Neither with an old save nor with a new started beta campaign the produced enemy units used the new rally points. Maybe you can have a look at it what's wrong. I add my not working mod and the logs of the new started beta campaign. I stopped at beta 3, when the rally points of the middle base didn't work.
And I made the labels.json files look a bit more clear arranged.
You need to add a

assembly: "nameOfLabel"
with the specified factory data (same place the throttles are placed) in the scripts. You only need to include the files you are changing, not everything.

Edit:
I finished the cam3-ad1 script and everything seems to work. I did encounter the problem where the player can see the ally vision, though it could be from cheating and using a very old save. Next up: The most boring mission ever... cam3-ad2. Then its the final Gamma mission after that.