The projects speaking tube.
Add your two cents if you want to.
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Release 3.2.0 beta2

Post by Per »

Hello everyone,

We have yet another new beta release of Warzone 2100 based on the famous "git master" branch. Aside from enabling coloured cursors by default, this beta contains only a lot of bugfixes. Thanks to everyone who has been testing and reporting bugs in the previous beta.

It is available at our usual location: https://sourceforge.net/projects/warzon ... 2.0_beta2/

If you wish to compile it yourself directly from our repo:

Code: Select all

git fetch origin --tags
git checkout 3.2.0_beta2
then proceed as normal with the build process.

Please report all bugs to http://developer.wz2100.net/newticket, and not on the forums.

We have changed our release procedure a bit in order to get releases out faster. We now make releases straight off the master branch, rather than branching off a stable branch from which we make releases. This might result in some oddities in this beta. Please report anything that looks amiss.

2016-05-16: Version 3.2.0 beta2

Balance: General: Graphics:
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Re: Release 3.2.0 beta2

Post by Per »

There were some complaints that the rebalancing of derrick costs in git master start was reverted. It was reverted mostly because it was too easy to accidentally or foolishly get stuck with zero power, and losing the game before it had really begun, which is frustrating. Attached is a new way to accomplish the same thing, without this risk being anywhere near as big. The attached mod changes derrick cost from 0 -> 200, and derrick build time from 100 -> 200. It also changes no base starts so that you start with your initial derricks already built, as you would for full base starts. (For some maps, we may want to limit this number of derricks further.)

To try it out on linux, copy the mod into your ~/.warzone2100-3.2/mods/multiplay/ folder (create it if it does not exist). Then start the game with --mod_mp=new-start-balance.wz

If this new aproach is tested and liked, we might stick it in 3.2 for the next beta. Please give your feedback below.
Attachments
new-start-balance.wz
(9.48 KiB) Downloaded 423 times
Sibernethy
Greenhorn

Post by Sibernethy »

Awesome! Yeah, in the last version, there was a bug with the AI when producing cyborgs missing their upper bodies that I found hilarious. XD

"Commander, there appears to be an army of legs approaching our base."

EDIT: They're also showing up in this version too:
Attachments
Army of Legs.png
Legendary
Greenhorn

Post by Legendary »

Siber, for me everything renders just fine. Thought I launching WZ with GeForce GTX 850M, not integrated video card.

Played 1 match vs normal AI. Oil derick tweak is good. Few interesting issues detected, but it's possible that it's like how WZ runs :)

1. Path finding - specially with borgs, if they are in group and not moving, they always move or spinning around. Tanks also, if path not clear they will stuck.
2. Research project should have not only energy price but also time required to complete research.
3. It's very hard to micro. Try select group of units and fast click on the ground, units will deselect for some reason. Specially if you produce more then 100 APM.
4. AI does not do micro at all :) just build -> send -> die. Maybe I'am asking to much, but this is a suggestion: implement chance to control AI's APM via API. I believe Nullbot will adapt this feature.
5. If you are in team with AI, their tanks riding in your wall and stuck in it.

Hm... Don't know what else. Maybe flamers? They are OP! Dear God if you get a bunch of enemy flamers in your group of units. There will be nice barbeque :)
KlassKill
Trained
Trained

Post by KlassKill »

you guys forgot http://developer.wz2100.net/attachment/ ... back.patch?

can you guys make portable builds again since not everyone has admin access to install the game!
Terminator
Regular
Regular

Post by Terminator »

new-start-balance.wz - crashes the game in campaign or fastplay (tutorial)

Code: Select all

nfo    |09:19:13: [realmain:1140] Using C:\Users\kaynix\Documents\Warzone 2100 3.2\logs\WZlog-0516_211913.txt debug file
info    |09:20:28: [getCompFromID:1399] No such component ID [TowerSensor] found
info    |09:20:28: [getCompFromID:1399] Assert in Warzone: stats.cpp:1399 (psComp), last script event: '<none>'
info    |09:20:28: [loadStructureStats:539] Invalid sensor found for structure 'A0CannonTower'
info    |09:20:28: [loadStructureStats:539] Assert in Warzone: structure.cpp:539 (sensor >= 0), last script event: '<none>'
error   |09:20:29: [modelGet:166] Could not find: blgateh.pie
info    |09:20:29: [loadStructureStats:521] Cannot find the PIE structureModel 'blgateh.pie' for structure 'A0HardcreteMk1Gate'
info    |09:20:29: [loadStructureStats:521] Assert in Warzone: structure.cpp:521 (imd != __null), last script event: '<none>'
error   |09:20:29: [modelGet:166] Could not find: blgateh_x.pie
info    |09:20:29: [loadStructureStats:521] Cannot find the PIE structureModel 'blgateh_x.pie' for structure 'A0HardcreteMk1Gate'
info    |09:20:29: [loadStructureStats:521] Assert in Warzone: structure.cpp:521 (imd != __null), last script event: '<none>'
error   |09:20:29: [modelGet:166] Could not find: blgateh_t.pie
info    |09:20:29: [loadStructureStats:521] Cannot find the PIE structureModel 'blgateh_t.pie' for structure 'A0HardcreteMk1Gate'
error   |09:20:29: [modelGet:166] Could not find: blgateh_l.pie
info    |09:20:29: [loadStructureStats:521] Cannot find the PIE structureModel 'blgateh_l.pie' for structure 'A0HardcreteMk1Gate'
error   |09:20:29: [modelGet:166] Could not find: milasbas.pie
info    |09:20:29: [loadStructureStats:521] Cannot find the PIE structureModel 'milasbas.pie' for structure 'A0LasSatCommand'
info    |09:20:29: [getCompFromID:1399] No such component ID [ECM1TurretMk1] found
info    |09:20:29: [getCompFromID:1399] Assert in Warzone: stats.cpp:1399 (psComp), last script event: '<none>'
info    |09:20:29: [loadStructureStats:535] Invalid ECM found for 'ECM1PylonMk1'
info    |09:20:29: [loadStructureStats:535] Assert in Warzone: structure.cpp:535 (ecm >= 0), last script event: '<none>'
info    |09:20:29: [getCompFromID:1399] No such component ID [HeavyLaser] found
info    |09:20:29: [getCompFromID:1399] Assert in Warzone: stats.cpp:1399 (psComp), last script event: '<none>'
info    |09:20:29: [loadStructureStats:551] Invalid item 'HeavyLaser' in list of weapons of structure 'Emplacement-HeavyLaser' 
info    |09:20:29: [loadStructureStats:551] Assert in Warzone: structure.cpp:551 (weapon >= 0), last script event: '<none>'
info    |09:20:29: [resLoadFile:550] The load function for resource type "SSTRUCT" failed for file "structure.json"
info    |09:20:29: [resLoadFile:550] Assert in Warzone: frameresource.cpp:550 (false), last script event: '<none>'
fatal   |09:20:29: [resLoad:209] Failed to parse wrf/stats.wrf
error   |09:20:34: [levLoadData:759] Failed resLoad(wrf/stats.wrf)!
fatal   |09:20:34: [startGameLoop:779] Shutting down after failure
Death is the only way out... sh*t Happens !

Russian-speaking Social network Group http://vk.com/warzone2100
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

Terminator wrote:new-start-balance.wz - crashes the game in campaign or fastplay (tutorial)
Yes... that's totally what you'd expect (except maybe it shouldn't crash... but show a nice error dialog instead). Why are you trying to play campaign with a multiplayer mod?

And yes, one day we should change the whole mod loading system so that this is not so difficult and error prone anymore...
machintruc
Greenhorn

Post by machintruc »

hello, if you can you update the .po files with untranslated strings it would be nice, i don't know how that script stuff is working :roll:
KlassKill
Trained
Trained

Post by KlassKill »

can we get new build for windows?
http://developer.wz2100.net/ticket/4404 breaks too many things and game is unplayable on lots of maps
railgen
Greenhorn

Post by railgen »

Are the named balance changes all what has been changed in this update?
What's with sensors and indirect weapons?

Can anyone give me topic about that changes?

However, my units will fire without assigning them to sensors.
In stable version indirect weapons are already smart enough and strong aswell.
Won't see a ordinary long game ending without them and people who don't make them are worthless, mostly.

Maybe weaken specific indirect wapons would balance it somehow, but before letting the computer do everything for you, we should make a poll about it.

Changes are:
- Smarter target selection
- No need to command mobile tanks, only sensor

That's a nice update, but is it really thoughtful?
A new concept is always better then turning around existing content.

Hope you understand my request.
KlassKill
Trained
Trained

Post by KlassKill »

I can not find forum topic on those changes
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

railgen wrote:Are the named balance changes all what has been changed in this update?
Yes.
railgen wrote:What's with sensors and indirect weapons?
They did not change in this beta. They did change quite a bit between 3.1 and 3.2, making the micro-AI controlling them much smarter. It is always an interesting discussion how much of this should be automated, and how much should be left up to the player so that games are won also on skill, not just strategy. Traditionally, Warzone has leaned far in the direction of allowing actions to be automated, compared to other RTS games.
railgen wrote:Can anyone give me topic about that changes?
Feel free to make one.
railgen
Greenhorn

Post by railgen »

I think people will spam artillery and concentrate on sensor due to this update.
It has been a problem since the first mp games and user defined rules banned them quickly, even when sensors used to be bad.

I guess you know explosion radius is a big problem in wz's multiplayer map standard:

..Direct weapons have low fire range compared to the range of explosions
..Units are close to each other all the time, as pathfinding and grouping is not the best
..Maps are small and changing accuracy is suboptimal

I wonder what MIH-XTC's opinion is?
MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained

Post by MIH-XTC »

railgen wrote:I think people will spam artillery and concentrate on sensor due to this update.
It has been a problem since the first mp games and user defined rules banned them quickly, even when sensors used to be bad.

I wonder what MIH-XTC's opinion is?
Thanks for asking, I think this is a very good change if I understand it correctly. I haven't seen or observed this behavior yet but I did see some other people mention it in another thread.

From what I read, it sounds as if long distance/artillery droids no longer need to be assigned to sensor droids to use them, sort of like an auto-sensor. I think this is very good as long as it applies only to sensor droids and not other structures such as an oil derrick.

For example, If I build an oil derrick far away and an opponent approaches it, artillery droids should not automatically fire just because the opponent is within the viewing range of the oil derrick. However, if there is a sensor droid there, it's good that artillery no longer needs to be assigned to it. This is much more realistic.

The reason this is a very good change is because without this functionality, mortars and howitzers will always be considered secondary weapons and will never be comparable to cannons, rockets and MG due to the way they are controlled (does not fire while moving, requires sensor assignment).

Giving artillery droids auto-assignment to sensors now allows them to be a viable alternative to cannons, rocket and MG as a tank turret. This was already the case with groundshaker but now it works on early game mortars too.

I know you are concerned about armies of mortars or artillery becoming too powerful or unstoppable in larger quantities as a result of this change but the solution for that is very easy :lol2: . We simply increase the build time of artillery turrets.

This effectively allows us to control how big artillery armies can become without affecting the balance of the artillery weapon or their structure counterpart.

In current 3.2, build times for artillery droids (units) are:

Mortar-Incenediary 750
Mortar1Mk1 500
Mortar2Mk1 1000
Mortar3ROTARYMk1 900
Howitzer-Incenediary 1000
Howitzer03-Rot 1600
Howitzer105Mk1 1000
Howitzer150Mk1 1250

Under new sensor functionality, I would guess maybe a 25% increase in build times. I don't have time to test now to get exact numbers but it's no problem to rebalance artillery as a result of this improved functionality.
railgen
Greenhorn

Post by railgen »

True:
It will help out players, who don't put that much effort into games and it might be fine for ordinary warzone maps.
That makes it justified somehow as wz does not really support ntw type maps, I think.
MIH-XTC wrote:
Thanks for asking, I think this is a very good change if I understand it correctly. I haven't seen or observed this behavior yet but I did see some other people mention it in another thread.

From what I read, it sounds as if long distance/artillery droids no longer need to be assigned to sensor droids to use them, sort of like an auto-sensor. I think this is very good as long as it applies only to sensor droids and not other structures such as an oil derrick. Including sensor towers?

Giving artillery droids auto-assignment to sensors now allows them to be a viable alternative to cannons, rocket and MG as a tank turret. This was already the case with groundshaker but now it works on early game mortars too. But mortars were never a problem? This update applies mostly on wide range weapons with wide explosions - Ripple, as example, is very rarely a good choice.
MIH-XTC wrote: I know you are concerned about armies of mortars or artillery becoming too powerful or unstoppable in larger quantities as a result of this change but the solution for that is very easy :lol2: . We simply increase the build time of artillery turrets.

Under new sensor functionality, I would guess maybe a 25% increase in build times. I don't have time to test now to get exact numbers but it's no problem to rebalance artillery as a result of this improved functionality.
But what makes you think that would solve the problem? What you do is making it worse in low oil game but not that much in flat long high oil.
You can't put low, mid and high all in one balance mod. You will always outbalance yourself when you don't modify the actual game physics and AI.

NTW:
Have you ever micro controlled your mobile turrets with an high explosion range? You don't need sensors. Also don't forget about other structures. What you think about them? Especially with the new team research they are all just a firework in the end. The 25% won't change much after all, since there is no direct anti indirect weapon what will make it easy to stack up that units.

For me it just makes not much sense making the best possible weapon the easiest and then trying to weaken it.
And don't forget that AI is always improvable. I could give you many ideas how you could ease a lot of things.

Would be nice if you could show a multiplayer beta game so we can see a bit about the balance.
Currently you won't find regular games opened.