The projects speaking tube.
Add your two cents if you want to.
KlassKill
Trained
Trained

Re: Release 3.2.0 beta1

Post by KlassKill »

MIH-XTC wrote:
Cyp wrote: Should be fixed now, thanks for reporting. Would be good to have all bugs listed in the bug tracker, so they don't get lost. I think some but not all have been reported there already.
KlassKill wrote:
Legendary wrote:I can't submit bug report...

"TICKET_CREATE privileges are required to perform this operation. You don't have the required permissions." There is no sign up link either. In general:
you need to click login link on the upper right corner and then use your forum account and the password then you click on new ticket
My forum username/pw do not work on the bug tracker site and there is no URL to register or sign up.

3.2 is crashing every time I click on the "set structure limit" icon in skirmish hosting menu. (trying to disable las sat)
Spoiler:
you sure you type in correctly? it is case sensitive I make that error as well :oops:
MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained

Post by MIH-XTC »

KlassKill wrote:
MIH-XTC wrote:Screenshot of changes made to the upgrade multipliers

Values come from these two files:
3.1.5 /mp/stats/functions.txt
3.2.0 /base/stats/functions.txt (3.2.0 doesn't have functions.txt under /mp/stats)
how are you doing this?
The "stats" (balance) files are located inside the file archives mp.wz and base.wz in your Warzone directory.

They can easily be imported into Excel.

mp = MultiPlayer
base = singleplayer

3.2.x stats files are stored in .json text files
3.1.x stats files are stored in .txt text files but they have a .csv (comma separated value) format

Just open up the .csv or .json files in a text editor (I use notepad++), press ctrl+a (Select all), ctrl+c (Copy)

To import .json paste the text at this website, https://json-csv.com/
Then boom, it generates an excel spreadsheet file for you.

To import .csv into excel, copy the .csv text to your clipboard, open excel and see the screenshot

To export data out of excel, just save the spreadsheet as a .csv file. Open the .csv file in a text editor and copy and paste the text to wherever you want.

To convert .csv to .json (if you want to make your own 3.2 balance using excel) paste the .csv text at this site and click "CSV to Keyed JSON" near the bottom.
http://www.convertcsv.com/csv-to-json.htm

From there, Excel can do all kinds of comparisons, sortings and data manipulation. I'm very fluent with Excel because I use it a lot at work.
here is how we are looking at the balance problems
run 3.2 and 3.1.5 at same time and have each player try the same thing on each version and you will see how different they are
Yep, that is how I test as well. I became really proficient at testing when attempting to make balance. All you really need is a 5v5 NTW map with extra research centers to ensure AI's can complete the tech tree flawlessly. I attached a map that I use for testing (it's classic NTW with 9 research modules per player)

Start 3.1 and 3.2 side by side at the same time, same map and settings. When the game begins, turn on debug mode (type cheat on), turn on autogame (autogame) and infinite power (whale fin) and turn speed up to 100x (+). Save the game every 8 - 12 minutes with the game time as their name. Let the tech tree finish and try to observe how much the tech tree diverges (changes).

Since all items are constantly researched from start to finish, this essentially simulates a flawless research game (pro game) with maybe ~30 seconds variation each time. When testing balance, this is the only scenario that you need to consider. The map is not important, only the fact that arrival times and items are balanced at certain points in the tech tree.

Then you can load the saved games to reference any point in time in any game regardless of the map. Using Alt+A (unlock everything), one can easily reproduce and test any unit, turret or scenario. Any aspect of a real game can easily be simulated in debug mode.
Attachments
10c-EB-SampleNoMod.wz
5v5 Classic NTW with 9 research modules per player for simulating flawless research
(33.41 KiB) Downloaded 370 times
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

MIH-XTC wrote:Values come from these two files:
3.2.0 /base/stats/functions.txt (3.2.0 doesn't have functions.txt under /mp/stats)
Oh, wait wait wait... This is wrong. That file should have been removed a long time ago, and you are also comparing multiplayer balance with campaign balance.
MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained

Post by MIH-XTC »

Per wrote:
MIH-XTC wrote:Values come from these two files:
Oh, wait wait wait... This is wrong. That file should have been removed a long time ago, and you are also comparing multiplayer balance with campaign balance.

is functions.txt not used in 3.2? I thought it was strange it's the only .txt file among the .json files in /base/stats.

Yea I had to compare 3.1 mp to 3.2 base because I couldn't find a functions.txt to compare in 3.2 mp/stats/. I assumed mp inherited base in this case.

If functions.txt is not used, then where are the upgrade multiplier values stored?
crab_
Trained
Trained

Post by crab_ »

MIH-XTC wrote:
is functions.txt not used in 3.2? I thought it was strange it's the only .txt file among the .json files in /base/stats.

Yea I had to compare 3.1 mp to 3.2 base because I couldn't find a functions.txt to compare in 3.2 mp/stats/. I assumed mp inherited base in this case.

If functions.txt is not used, then where are the upgrade multiplier values stored?

Hey Calculus. I can help.

Let's see.
Research.json - https://github.com/Warzone2100/warzone2 ... json#L4827

Research object may contain 'results' field.
This field is array of research results. Each array element stores upgrade multiplier values.
For example:

Code: Select all

{
                "class": "Weapon",
                "filterParameter": "ImpactClass",
                "filterValue": "A-A GUN",
                "parameter": "FirePause",
                "value": -10
            }
hmm, I not quite remember what means minus sign near value..
...this '-10' means percent of base value. This percent is substrated from base value. This data is used in my Wz Guide. This may differ from 3.1.x versions.
Warzone2100 Guide - http://betaguide.wz2100.net/
MIH-XTC
Trained
Trained

Post by MIH-XTC »

crab_ wrote:
MIH-XTC wrote:

Hey Calculus. I can help.

Let's see.
Research.json - https://github.com/Warzone2100/warzone2 ... json#L4827

Research object may contain 'results' field.
This field is array of research results. Each array element stores upgrade multiplier values.
For example:

{
                "class": "Weapon",
                "filterParameter": "ImpactClass",
                "filterValue": "A-A GUN",
                "parameter": "FirePause",
                "value": -10
            }
hmm, I not quite remember what means minus sign near value..
...this '-10' means percent of base value. This percent is substrated from base value. This data is used in my Wz Guide. This may differ from 3.1.x versions.
Ohhhhhhhh okay, I got it now, I see what you mean.

In 3.1, the value of each upgrade was declared in functions.txt

in 3.2, the value of each upgrade is declared in the values field in research.json

In this case, there are zero changes to any of the upgrade modifiers. Doesn't seem that balance has been changed.
KlassKill
Trained
Trained

Post by KlassKill »

MIH-XTC wrote: Ohhhhhhhh okay, I got it now, I see what you mean.

In 3.1, the value of each upgrade was declared in functions.txt

in 3.2, the value of each upgrade is declared in the values field in research.json

In this case, there are zero changes to any of the upgrade modifiers. Doesn't seem that balance has been changed.
the numbers are only part of how it works
the way everything is computed has changed and balance is not the same
play it like how I say above it will be clear then
Legendary
Greenhorn

Post by Legendary »

MIH-XTC wrote:
KlassKill wrote:
MIH-XTC wrote:<...>
Mih, are you using any kind of balancing formula for unit health / armor / damage / speed / price / build time ratio? I thought that Starcraft balancing would apply for WZ, but in this case there is no different race, only one. I can help you to create an algorithm if you want to improve balancing.
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

Per wrote:Graphics: All propulsion models can now have standing still and moving animations.
wow, I missed some good news. Are there any manuals about it? :)

p.s. Hi guys! :D
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

MaNGusT wrote:
Per wrote:Graphics: All propulsion models can now have standing still and moving animations.
wow, I missed some good news. Are there any manuals about it? :)
We're pretty bad at writing manuals :stressed:

If you look at data/mp/stats/body.json you will find sections like these:

"propulsionExtraModels": {
            "HalfTrack": {
                "left": "prhlhtr3.pie",
                "right": "prhrhtr3.pie"
            },
            "Helicopter": {
                "left": "prhheli2.pie",
                "moving": "heavyheli_rotor_stationary.pie",
                "still": "fxheli10.pie"
            },
            "Naval": {
                "left": "prhnaval1.pie"
            },
            "V-Tol": {
                "left": "prhlvtl2.pie",
                "right": "prhrvtl2.pie",
                "still": "fxvtl10.pie"
            },
            "hover01": {
                "left": "prhhov1.pie"
            },
            "tracked01": {
                "left": "prhltrk3.pie",
                "right": "prhrtrk3.pie"
            },
            "wheeled01": {
                "left": "prhlwhl1.pie",
                "right": "prhrwhl1.pie"
            }
        },
Here you specify which models are to be used for propulsion, for each body. You can draw up to three propulsion models for each body - a left side, a right side and a center model. The center model will be replaced with the "moving" model when the droid is moving, if it is specified. This was added specifically to allow Jorzi's helicopter model.

I have a new animation system in progress that will largely replace the above with something more flexible, but that will only come in the next major release.

I hope this was somewhat clear :-)
MaNGusT
Art contributor

Post by MaNGusT »

It's clear now. Also, a few more questions. Is *.ani animation still hardcoded to oil derrick? and, can propulsion and maybe all other models have more than 1 level?
Per
Warzone 2100 Team Member
Warzone 2100 Team Member

Post by Per »

MaNGusT wrote:Is *.ani animation still hardcoded to oil derrick?
Yes.
MaNGusT wrote:can propulsion and maybe all other models have more than 1 level?
All features and structures should now work with more than one model level. Not yet supported for droid components.